16' Starcraft 80's???

mattc

Cadet
My wife?s uncle gave me a 16? aluminum Starcraft. It has a 40 hp Mariner. It is a side console with a built-in livewell. I believe the boat is from the mid 80?s, but not sure. The hull is paint red and looks to be factory paint. The outboard starts, but there seems to be some pitting and small holes on the outside of the hull. It has not seen water in 7 years and was stored uncovered. The last time he said he had it in the water he forgot to put the bilge plug in and it took on water. After that he pulled the boat and it has sense sat. I will have pictures in a couple weeks when I go to pick it up. Also, the deck is rotted pretty badly. Am I getting in over my head or are these boats fixable.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 16' Starcraft 80's???

These old aluminum hulls are extremely easy to work on and it sounds like you have got a nice project on your hands.

Check out some of the threads in the restoration section of this site and you will find tons of starcraft projects.

Welcome to iboats mattc:)

mattc

Cadet

Thank you. I believe the boat was stored with saltwater in the hull. I was talking to a person about it and they mention that the hull maybe worthless because of it being stored improperly. Any thing that I should look out for?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You have stumbled upon probably the biggest collection of aluminum Starcraft enthusiasts on the internet. Welcome! If you show us some pics of the damage you're talking about we can surely recommend a course of action.

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome Mattc.

Sounds like it is a free boat? If so fixing it could be a small expense, fun and rewarding. If you are relatively handy and have some power tools (an excuse to buy some?:)) these fix up easily. And you have us and all the threads to assist.

Good luck and we look forward to seeing some pics. You may have or soon will see that many of use photobucket to share our progress. Might fit your needs.

Albert

mattc

Cadet

Thanks for the support. Will try to get pictures this week.