16' Luger Leeward. Ready to put it in the water. hairline crack at waterline

chrisnj

Seaman
From what I can tell this boat sat on it's trailer since 2009. It needed only a quick sweep and wipe down.
The floor and sides look to have fresh paint.

My only concern is this hairline crack in the picture. It goes about 6' from the stern to the bow on the starboard side and about 3' on the port side.
When I push around it it doesn't give and it actually looks like it has leaked from the inside out of this crack.

My assumption is that this is nothing to worry about and that if it does leak it will swell up pretty quickly.

We will eventually put this in the saltwater.
Check out the pic and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• photo230234.JPG
    photo230234.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230235.JPG
    photo230235.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230236.JPG
    photo230236.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230237.png
    photo230237.png
    464.7 KB · Views: 0

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
First WAG - pressure from internal foam expansion....
I'd be concerned with water intrusion... Water in the foam equals zero fun... Maybe even -0 fun...

Second WAG - the boat took a hit while off the trailer - sailed over something hard or dropped... Either way - I think that crack has to be sealed up..

Last edited:

chrisnj

Seaman
How would you seal it?
The crack is hairline and does not give at all when pushed?
If left to my own devices I would clean it good, tape it off and apply a few coats of the appropriate varnish.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sand it out a bit and fill it with finishing/fairing compound - then sand it smooth and repaint. If it cracks again - then it would be time to get a little more aggressive. That would be my first approach..

chrisnj

Seaman
As I was up close and personal with the transom I noticed there were little screw top marks under the gelcoat along the top and bottom of that crack.

I saw the same screws exposed around the dagger board opening.

this was a kit boat. I think that the bottom came in one piece. The sides came in two pieces and the transom in one.

So, that problem is solved. It's just the joint where the pieces meet and will always crack.

The transom is fiberglass with a plywood reinforcement that is pretty dryrotted.
The fiberglass is in good shape and from the holes for the kicker mount it appears to be almost 3/4" thick.

I know I should digg all that wood out and replace... I just pulled the loose paint and sealed with a Rustoleum/rubbermade spray can (rattle can) water proof sealant.
I cut another sheet of ply with matching holes and covering about one half of the transom. (the space is small or I would have done the whole thing.
I built a kicker mount out of some PT lumber I had. Sanded and varnished and slapped it on.
Looks ok.
I plan on sailing a few times this year to figure out what need to be repaired over the winter.
I'll probably redo that interior transom piece with a sheet of marine ply.
And redo the kicker mount with some oak or teak.
Or heck.. I might even buy a mount.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You have 3 threads going about the same project. You should ask a MOD to combine them all together to make it easier for you AND the iBoats members to follow what you are doing. It is what the Forum Guidelines recommends.;)

chrisnj

Seaman
You have 3 threads going about the same project. You should ask a MOD to combine them all together to make it easier for you AND the iBoats members to follow what you are doing. It is what the Forum Guidelines recommends.;)
Great Idea. I'm not super forum guy.