16' aluminum sylvan sportster project! new pics 11-12

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 16' aluminum sylvan sportster project! new pics 11-12

Looks great! I think the loss of gloss was a good thing. It doesn't highlight the imperfections as much and seems more even. Great job!

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea Andy I was planning to use the gluvit for the floors as well. I went ahead
and bought 2 gallons of gluvit when I bought the boat $100/gal. I looked at other epoxy and it was around the same price. EZ I'd have to agree on the
paint colors on your boat, what were they thinking? The royal blue and pweter gray look good together although I think admiral blue would have looked better.

Andy in NY

Commander

Yea Andy I was planning to use the gluvit for the floors as well. I went ahead
and bought 2 gallons of gluvit when I bought the boat $100/gal. I looked at other epoxy and it was around the same price. EZ I'd have to agree on the
paint colors on your boat, what were they thinking? The royal blue and pweter gray look good together although I think admiral blue would have looked better.

just seems like overkill... i did my deck and transom for less than $100 total using poly resin and glassing the top of the deck.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

I think it is looking great, I agree withmotorpsykler on the gloss and hiding the imperfections. Can't wait to see it finished.

Jeff

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the positive reinforcement guys, I need it on a project like this.
Andy I agree that it can be done cheaper with polyester or vinyl ester resin
and glass mat, or plain old spar varnish or polyurethane and would probably hold up fine. Plain and simple I don't like working with glass mat and don't
want to have to coat the wood several times with varnish or polyurethane.
I'd have to buy a quart of gluvit anyway which costs $40-$50 plus shipping.
I got my gluvit for $99/gal with free shipping so in my mind I'm only paying
$150 for the gluvit I'm coating my deck and transom wood with. It's worth the added expense to me to not have to use glass and only apply 2 coats.
Plus I'll probably have some left over for the next project.

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thought I'd update my thread. Lately i've repaired the knee brace that had the top ears ripped off from the rotten transom. I used the cheap alumiweld
sticks from harbor freight. The weld seems fairly strong but this stuff is very hard to grind so it doesn't look pretty. I gluvited half of my hull and put another coat on my transom wood. I reriveted my floor beams and cut and prefit my floor using 1/2'' acx ply. Ididn't think I'd have enough gluvit to cover the floors so I ended up coating them with some spar varnish I found for $35/gal. It took 1 1/2 gal for 3 coats. I'll have to find some 3/4'' grab 3/16'' blind
rivets for the floor, hopefully the local fastenal cariies them. That's it so far.