15hp johnson just died

AlTn

Commander
Re: 15hp johnson just died

marineengine.com shows the pump and also a rebuild kit for that pump....the diaphram and check valves are inside the pump..someone else would have to advise you on the rebuild as I was unsuccessful in my one attempt and just put a new pump on

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

easiest thing to do is ,buy a replacement,you can and SHOULD look to Iboats store.Now,what you can try,if you bypass th fuelpump ,by hooking the fuel line that goes to the carb ,directly to the fuel tank,of course this might take some imagination to succeed with connections etc,but,once you squeeze the fuel ball ,start the eng,and gently continue to keep pressure by squeezing the ball,if all goes well,you proved the fuelpump as problem,but,know taht the engine might run like crap for a minute or 2 till all the flooding has gone,some fuelpumps have rebuild kits,but it is easier to buy a new one,keepus imformed

rosgood14

Seaman

well i rebuilt the fuel pump and i am confident that it is done correctly and i still have the same issue motor will start and run at low idle to mid range just fine with a few spits and sputters but once you hit high rpm's motor bogs down or sounds like it is then as soon as i lower the rpm's back down motor goes back to running just fine. there is still a lot of brownish junk coming out of the exhaust and is smoking pretty good. I have a video if it will help with what i am saying im just not savy on how to get it on here. I am out of ideas with this motor and i could really use a good idea.

Just for those joining this thread i have replaced the plugs, coil pack, power pack, and put a fuel pump kit in.

Thanks for your ideas and please keep them coming

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is your ign/stator plate moving freely with the throttle?

rosgood14

Seaman

i am unfamiliar with what you are talking about. what is the ign/stator plate and where is it located

rosgood14

Seaman

i have tried a few more things and this is what i got. ok so i have changed gas tanks so there is nothing in the new one. i also just cleaned the carb again. i tried opening the fill cap and nothing changed the motor is still having the same problem. however i had a thought. i decided to see if the problem would change when it was about out of gas since i have been told that it might be getting to much fuel. i unhooked the gas line and waited and as it was starting to run out of fuel i reved it up and it ran beautifully for a couple of sec's more than it usually does. so that being said what would be causing it to get too much fuel and just a reminder i have already rebuilt the fuel pump. thanks

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had some bizarre symptoms on my Evinrude 9.9 which were all related to the ignition and kill switches. I had an intermittent connection at the switch and when it DID run it ran really rough. Have you tried disconnecting the kill switch as mentioned to see if that helps? Have you tested the voltages on your ignition wires at the switch? The red wire should see a constant 12 volts both at the switch and at the motor end, and in the on position the ignition wire (believe it's purple?) should be getting 12v. If it's less, or it's intermittent I bet you could be experiencing similar problems like I was. There was no particular rhyme or reason as to why it wouldn't start or why it would run for a few seconds and sputter out. Hell one time I trailered it to my mechanic friends house and then it started right up and ran fine for a little bit. I trailered it home and it wouldn't start when I got it home! I replaced the wiring and the ignition switch and it runs fine now.

AlTn

Commander

did you ever try the timing light on each wire while it was running?..did you do a link and sync so you are certain the throttle plate is just opening in the start position and that the throttle plate is perfectly horizontal as the roller on the carb linkage is at the highest point on the timing cam?

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

By disconnecting the fuel line and letting it run out of fuel you are creating a lean condition. Sounds to me that the highspeed jet in your carb may not either be set right or may be a little plugged..

rosgood14

Seaman

ok so i had a evinrude/johnson technician come look at the motor and at first he thought it was a fuel problem as well. after testing some things we found that the the compression is good the spark is good and fuel is not the problem. He believes that it is a exhaust pressure problem. he says that there is a rubber grommet at the base of the powerhead where the exhaust goes through and that if the motor runs hot it can on rare occasions close up partially. he said it is rare but thats all he could think of and he said that it is a real crappy job to change a 5 dollar part. I just want to get some input on this idea before i tear the whole motor down to get to the grommet.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

i have tried a few more things and this is what i got. ok so i have changed gas tanks so there is nothing in the new one. i also just cleaned the carb again. i tried opening the fill cap and nothing changed the motor is still having the same problem. however i had a thought. i decided to see if the problem would change when it was about out of gas since i have been told that it might be getting to much fuel. i unhooked the gas line and waited and as it was starting to run out of fuel i reved it up and it ran beautifully for a couple of sec's more than it usually does. so that being said what would be causing it to get too much fuel and just a reminder i have already rebuilt the fuel pump. thanks

You may have air getting into your fuel line. If the motor ran good when disconnecting the fuel line, I would suggest that you examine the o-rings in the quick connections on the fuel tank and the motor connection very carefully. Any nick or split can cause headaches. I once had a fuel pick up tube in the tank crack and that let air from the upper part of the tank get into the fuel system. Now that was a real noggin pain to figure that problem out.
As far as the rubber grommet your mechanic is talking about, I probably would not suspect it to be the problem.

fireman57

Captain

If it is the exhaust gasket take the engine cover off and run it. If it runs fine then that is your problem if it still runs crappy he is wrong.

rosgood14

Seaman

well i have a tried a different tank but i will examine the hose and connections. also what engine cover are you talking about taking off.

fireman57

Captain

The thing you have to take off to see your engine.

wmconway

Seaman

Daviet is talking about your ignition timing advance. Looks like the 1995 is still a mechanical advance system. So if your carb opens up, the throttle cam must have rotated. Good thing to check anyway. With your motor off, put it in gear and open the throttle to full while watching the plate under the flywheel. It should rotate to open the carb. Also make sure the carb opens fully - the valve in the throat of the carb should be horizontal at WOT. If not, the cam follower may be rotted off or your linkage needs adjusting.
Check the primer valve - make sure your primer valve is not open on manual. Rotate it until it clicks before stopping.
After the motor is warmed up, disconnect one of the bullet connectors from the primer valve and test run to WOT.

tav10

Recruit

Was the problem fixed?
What was done to fix it?
Tommy

rosgood14

Seaman

The thing you have to take off to see your engine.

in what world would removing the engine cover have any influence on an exhaust gromett that is located at the base of the powerhead or any gaskets on a motor for that matter.

AlTn

Commander

in the world that allows exhaust gases into the carb intake area

fireman57

Captain

I don't know if your evinrude/johnson technician is calling the exhaust gasket a grommet or not but here is what happens with a bad exhaust gasket. When the engine cover is on the exhaust fumes are trapped under the cover. Exhaust means that most of the oxygen in the surrounding air has been "exhausted". An engine at idle doesn't burn much fuel so it really doesn't need much air. However, an engine that is burning a lot of fuel, like when you try to go really, really, fast will need to use more air to burn the more fuel. If the gasket is good then the "spent" or exhausted air can get back to the outside where it will be reoxygenated by another process called photosynthesis but that is another thread. If the gasket is bad then the "bad air" is trapped by the cover and there is very little oxygen for it to use. when you start your engine you are usually idling thus not using much oxygen but you are still using some. As you putter out to where you can go really really fast the bad air will build up and when you hit the throttle there is no "good air" left for it to burn. The test for a bad exhaust gasket is to take the engine cover off so that it is always surrounded by lots of good air and the bad air is wafted away. So if your engine runs well with the cover off when you want to go really really fast then you know you have to replace the exhaust gasket at the base of the engine. If it does not go really really fast then we are back to looking for what it might be but this is a simple and free test that can be done to eliminate a potential suspect. WARNING: Engine covers are there to protect people that should not be around engines. Anyone injured because they did not have the cover on while running their engine cannot hold anyone liable for injury that occurs because they have been warned. Hearing loss can occur as the decibels will increase and may cause someone to repeat themselves.

fireman57

Captain

wnconway had a great point that you did not address. Did you make sure that the little red lever on your primer solenoid is flipped the right way?