150 merc oil mix

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im sure you guys have herd me talk about the oily film that my motor leaves on the prop and how bad it smokes.So much black film that my SS prop looks like its painted black.This just hit me at Wal-mart tonight as I was in the boating section of the store.The oil I have been useing is the cheep stuff that you would use in weed eaters and chain saws.I dont think it is made for outboards.So I bought some of the good stuff for outboards TCW-3 and a measureing cup too.Do you guys think this is why this thing is running so bad at idel and smokeing so much.Or does it even matter 50:1 is 50:1 no matter what the oil is.Thanks Guys,Joe :cool:

DOCD9501

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 150 merc oil mix

You should only use outboard grade tcw-3 oil. And yes cheep oil will make one run like crap. Wal-Mart oil is the worst. It doesn't mix as well and you will get areas that didnt mix through the carbs. = smoke dirty plugs=rough running. Stick to the silver it burns, lubes, and mixes best.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That isnt what I wanted to hear because that is what I bought the Super Tech tcw-3 outboard oil. I bought a whole gallon of it last night. Even though you say that this is the cheap stuff the stuff that I had been using is even cheaper, it was like .89 for 16oz. <br />Thanks,<br />Joe

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

A lot of people use the super tech oil and do fine with it. WHy don't you try it and see what you think. It's tcw3, so it certainly won't hurt your engine. Then you can buy a quart or two of more expensive oil and see if it makes a difference. Good luck and let us know what you think.

ronnieboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i use synthetic quicksilver. had great luck with it. smokes less to. stick to name brands. johnson, evinrude, mercury, they make the best stuff, mercury motor is made to use quicksilver. just cheap insurance, good luck ron

LubeDude

Admiral

The oil you were using will not burn off like it should and will in fact cause some of the problems you have described. I would do a very good decarb procedure with Seafoam and install new plugs. The Walmart oil will do you just fine, (Much better than what you were doing), but there are better oils out there.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Lube, This I can see, :eek: just put these plugs in last week made 2 runs and they are carbed up already.Where can I get the seafoam at.How much is it $$$.And how do I do the decarb procedure useing it.Thanks again, Joe :cool:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

For what it's worth, my '02 Merc maint manual says use TCWII oil. So now we have TCWIII. Next month it will probably be TCW1V and the month after that TCWV Amazing how things go out of style so quickly. Hmmmmmmm<br /><br />Mark

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I will update you all when I get it done.Thanks again,Joe :cool:

KCLOST

Commander

It will smoke your neighbors out... So keep that in mind...

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by B.M.W II:<br />I have been useing is the cheep stuff that you would use in weed eaters and chain saws.
That's air cooled 2-stroke oil that contains higher levels of ash. This ash will give the exact symptoms you are experiencing in a cooler running liquid-cooled outboard. TCW3 oils are ash-less and burn cleaner in engines with lower combustion temperatures. The Wal-Mart TCW3 is an excellent oil. Price really has nothing to do with the quality of the oil, and more to do with marketing.