15' thundercraft wildcat - more transom questions

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally found a powerhead for my motor and that's just about put to bed. I now have to address the spongy spots in my transom around the bolt holes. I've been reading all the transom/stringer questions I can search out here and still have questions of course.<br /><br />1. I plan on separating the deck to fix my transom, since my boat is quite small. I presume I will have to cut out part of the floor where it meets the transom. Will I have to redo the whole floor or can I get away with only cutting out a foot or so if it's not rotten? It was pretty solid when I was last in the boat. With a couple of vacation days, I only expect to be able to get about four days for the project. Boat is out of town. Not enough room to work on it in my garage or city lot.<br /><br />2. If I'm not going to remove the floor *crosses fingers* How do I best check the stringers. Check them where I cut out part of the floor to do the transom and if it's ok, assume the rest is?<br /><br />3. If I separate the deck, how best to prevent any deformation in the hull so the deck will go back on and the hull will still perform? Didn't see this discussed a lot.<br /><br />4. If the floor is glassed to the stringers, how do you avoid damaging the stringers near the transom when you take part of it out.<br /><br />5. I'm assuming the wost. I've only spotted soft areas around the bolt holes and I think they started because I had a guy work on the motor. when he took it off he broke the sealant joints around the bolts and never fixed it when he put it back on. It got water tested and it sat for a winter at the marina. If it's just around the bolt holes, do it epoxy them and forget the transom replacemnt? I think it's going to be a big enough area that the whole transom must be replaced. It's been sitting while I've been into my rebuild since last summer.<br /><br />6. Thickened Resin or Epoxy comes up often in the threads. Is it partially set (can't imagine), or filler added or what is it that makes it thickened.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: 15' thundercraft wildcat - more transom questions

1. Yeah, you can cut a foot or whatever amount of room you need to get the project done. Just hope you don't, as often happens, open her up to find nasty stringers as well.<br /><br />2.Thats a tough one, you may have to get creative, or roll the dice.<br /><br />3. If you are not removing the floor, you do not have to worry about hull deformation, but you still want to take care with it.<br /><br />4.Odds are, once you have cut the perimeter and across, the floor piece will pull up rather easily. Otherwise, any damage would be mild and easily repaired.<br /><br />5.When in doubt, just replace it. Its not that hard, and the peace of mind is so worth it.<br /><br />6.Resin, be it epoxy or poly, is thickened with media such as micro balloons or other such things that are designed to work with the type of resin you are using. You can buy it when you buy your resin.

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 15' thundercraft wildcat - more transom questions

Thanks Serg,<br /><br />You should get paid here.