15 hp stops after running a few minutes.

This board has been a life saver for me and I want to thank all those that respond with information. Without the help here, my boating activities would have to be put on hold.

My latest problem concerns a 15 hp 2 cycle Merc. It is a newer one (about 2000) with less than 15 hours on it. I replaced the plugs and gapped them at .060. I removed the carb, soaked it over night in a carb cleaner. I then used the air compressor and tip cleaners to make sure all the ports were open. Cleaned the filter and filled the tank with new 50:1 gas/oil mix. I got it started and it ran for about two minutes and then just shut down. I can't get it started even by choking it. I disconnected the kill switch and fuel sensor (?) wires to make sure it wasn't a ground from them. Any ideas of where to look next would be great.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 15 hp stops after running a few minutes.

Tank vent open?didnt overheat while running,did it?Have you done the staples of compression check and 7/16" spark jump test?

Starcraft, thanks for the questions. The plugs are new and the engine only has about 15 hours of run time. It was running fine for about two minutes and then just died. It won't even pop when choking. I suspect your right about no spark at the plugs but, why? Thanks again.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to auto zone(or similar)and get a compression tester and an adjuastable gap spark tester.Test both.Even if you think compression is good,VERIFY.If that checks ok,check the spark.Use search function on here to look up how to do both.If compression is good and spark is good,well,that pretty much would narrow down to a fuel problem.MUCH easier to diagnose than not knowing if its electrical,fuel,or bad cylinder.Both testers you get will be needed for any other problems you might encounter w/any motor you may get,so just bite the bullet(not expensive,anyway).This will help us(forum),help you.