140 merc low rpm

I have 1986 glasstream 172 with a 140 alpha one brought the boat last year would start run rough but the lower unit had been jd welded on the front of cone and was leaking oil. They wanted 2500 for the boat but after pointing out the problems they sold it for 600 no water test. I put a new sei lower on rebuilt Carb new points cap plugs started and ran good but could not get over 3400 rpm. Spark was a little weak so I replaced coil and have a good spark now rebuilt Carb again runs like new. I go to the lake and still 3400 rpm with new tach check speed 37 MPH with 17 pitch prop. I thought something was off put the numbers in prop slip calc and got negitive slip. I think I have found my problem wrong gear in drive? Check the stamp on the side of drive 1.84 however those numbers in the slip calc still do not come out right. I think l have a 1.5 drive and will check tonight. I had a 19 pitch prop with the boat and started with that it would run 3000 rpm and about 34 MPH so about 200 rpm per pitch. My question is should I get a 1.95 drive or 13 pitch prop. The good thing about all of this is at least I now know I'm not crazy.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 140 merc low rpm

My question is should I get a 1.95 drive or 13 pitch prop.

Ayuh,.... Swap the Drive, 'cause I don't think you can buy a 13" prop to fit an Alpha drive.....

Last time I looked, the 15" is the smallest pitch available...