singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 14 ft. Tri-hull Boat Total Rebuild

...and a white one.

PA040098.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right before I quit, I popped the faceboard on to see what it looked like. The electrical is basically finished. The face needs another coat or 2 of sealer yet. I like how the stain showed up the wood grain. :)

PA040102.jpg

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

She is looking great . I bet next time you get the hardware on before you get 90% of the interior in :D:D.

Rick

Ha ha!! Would def make THAT job a bit easier! We got new bolts so we waited to put them in till we were done painting so we dint have to work around them. So maybe next time we should paint before the interior is 90% dun! lol!! ha ha

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work.That'll be a good way to spend time with dad and lil bro when you guys are through.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You are doing fantastic work. I'll tell you, when you read a lot of these project threads, you develop an idea in the beginning of how you think it's going to turn out. Well this one has FAR exceeded my initial thoughts. That boat was a pile when you started and now it is a top notch fishing rig. Your console is really really nice. If I had to make one criticism it would be that you should have painted (gray) the exposed wood, like the under side of your hatches and the corners of the hatch openings, before you put the carpet down. It would have given it a more professional look. But that's really nit-picking which I'm only able to do because everything else is so nice. Great work!

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

great job singinout! the console and wood panel is awesome. did you say you were gonna do a live well or not?

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are doing fantastic work. I'll tell you, when you read a lot of these project threads, you develop an idea in the beginning of how you think it's going to turn out. Well this one has FAR exceeded my initial thoughts. That boat was a pile when you started and now it is a top notch fishing rig. Your console is really really nice. If I had to make one criticism it would be that you should have painted (gray) the exposed wood, like the under side of your hatches and the corners of the hatch openings, before you put the carpet down. It would have given it a more professional look. But that's really nit-picking which I'm only able to do because everything else is so nice. Great work!

Thanx! To be honest it far exceeded my expectations as well! I dont exactly remember what I was first envisioning when I started but I do know it wasn't this! ;) An yeah, the boat was a pile when I got it! :D

Hey great idea on the spray painted lids! That never even crossed my mind! Oh well...guess if I was REALLY hard up it could still be done. Would be a bit of a pain tho now!

78ImperialT
great job singinout! the console and wood panel is awesome. did you say you were gonna do a live well or not?

Originally I was gonna make my own livewell. Partway thro I got the hooks of it and scrapped the idea. I decided to just use a smaller ice chest for a livewell for now at least. Maybe someday I'll put something more pro in. Didnt feel like spending the $ on it right now.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Suffice tonight's report to be this: multiple "little things that don't take much time" end up taking alot of time!

Just wrapping up odds and ends on the boat. Still got a few but most of it is done. Hoping to finish servicing the outboard tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Btw, sorry no pix tonight! :( Most of what I was doing wasn't "visual". I'll try to document the whole thing once I'm finished.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 what he said! My thoughts exactly, except for the paint. I dont know if it has been said yet but you should glass all that wood:p

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 what he said! My thoughts exactly, except for the paint. I dont know if it has been said yet but you should glass all that wood:p

Hmmm...yeah seems to me that was mentioned somewhere along the line. lol!:D

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey just wanna brief you on my status! :) I'll do pix later some day when I have time. I been working none stop on the thing for the last day and a half. As of tonight it is loaded on the trailer and totally loaded to head to the lake tomorrow!! Yeah!!!

I finished services the outboard. Had a few hiccups in trying to get it to pump water. I had changed the pump but it still wasn't working. Finally figured out the one tube must not have been lined up inside. I was REALLY freaked for a bit but it all turned out ok! It's pumping nice now.

So yeah, basically the boat is done! Haven't really had time to sit back and appreciate that fact yet but we'll see how it performs this week! Hope I don't have too many first launch bellyaches like some of you guyz! Got my fingers crossed!

Leaving tomorrow for vacation so not sure when I'll post the final pix. Prolly not till i get back. Anyways thanx for following and I'll be back later to wrap this up.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looking forward to the report Singinout, you've put your heart and soul into this, best of times with it on your VayCay... have fun & be safe!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guyz!! Wow I feel like a stranger! My thread is the whole way back 6 pages!!!:) Just got back from vacation today.

Ok now for a report on the boat....

First of all, everything was not A+ as many other guys have experienced one first time voyages. :(:) As far as the boat itself goes, it was fantastic IMO. As far as the outboard goes....not so much. I suppose I was asking for it - not giving it a trial run before taking it. But I ran right up to my deadline and didn't really have any other option but hope for the best.

My first launch goes something like this. Got down to the lake late Sunday aft. Found a ramp to launch at and put the boat in. The whole family watches and waits for the great moment. I fire it up and back it away from the dock. Put it in forward and give it some throttle. Revs up a bit and dies. Cranks and won't start. Squeeze fuel bulb to make sure it has fuel. Refuses to start. Drop trolling motor in water and pull back to the dock and load it back up on the trailer. Water around engine is oily and seems like the engine was flooded. Took boat back to cabin to contemplate next move.

There. Lol! Sounz great! :D

On Monday we had a boat rental. There was a marina there and I had a service guy look at the motor. He said it might be a carb or fuel pump or something. We had changed oil in lower unit, changed water pump and fixed the electric primer system before we went down. So I checked with their parts guy and he happened to have a carb kit for my outboard. Got that. Had rental boat all day so didn't have time to work on the motor. Tues morn we redid the carb and put it in a bucket of water and tried to start it. Were able to get it up and running half decent.

Took it to the boat launch and launched it again. Engine ran better but not real great. Had absolutely no top end. Wound the whole way out I could only get 5 mph out of it. It sounded like it was just above an idle but nothing I tried would get anything more out of it. Got it back to our dock (slowly). Decided to try new spark plugs. Again, that helped some and smoothed it out a little but still didn't improve the power. Decided to scrap working on it down there and just put up with it the way it was. We had it out fishing Tues, Wed, and this morn. Engine runs decently smooth, not 100%, but gud enough to get you around.

So now I gotta take it off here sometime and have the local marine guy go over it and try to figure out wats up with it.

On the brighter side, the setup worked really nice for fishing. Trolling motor performed flawlessly! And I was really impressed with how the boat handled wakes from other boats.There was only once that any water splashed over the side and that was from a huge wake. It was like 1 1/2 ft high capping on the top. I dont even know where it came from. It splashed a little over the side but wasn't too bad.

So yeah....I really like my boat! Just got give that outboard a good tuneup or something. Really should have done that in the first place but.... Guess ya live and learn!

I'll try to get some pix of it maybe tomorrow or Sat. Haven't had a chance to download anything yet. Just dropping by to give you guyz heads up on the boat! ;)

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey! I just did my 200th post and I am now officially a 1st Class Petty Officer! :D

Rickairmedic

Commander

Good to hear the boat performed well for you other than the outboard . I think if you put into it the kind of effort and quality you did in the boat it will be a great runner and you will really enjoy the boat :D.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think the problem is obvious. Your outboard is jealous of the work you put into the boat and was angry you didn't share the love.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the problem is obvious. Your outboard is jealous of the work you put into the boat and was angry you didn't share the love.

Lol! ha yeah must be it! :D