14 foot deep vee flooring help

esox23

Recruit
First time poster here. I just inherited my grandfather’s boat. It’s a mid 70’s Mirro Craft 14 foot deep vee, and I want to put a floor in the boat. I mainly fish Musky and would like to have flat casting floor the length of the boat. The boat originally had level floatation which consisted of 3 bench seats and two squares behind the back bench all filled with a foam substance. My uncle removed the back bench and the 2 squares and put in a floor made of Mahogany with a pedestal seat. The existing floor is only in the back half of the boat and I would like to make a floor the go the whole length of the boat. No needs for storage compartments or anything like that just want to do a floor. I’m looking for help on keeping it light weight and structurally solid. Ideas on bracing and stuff like that. From the looks of it the beam is about 60".<br /><br />Thanks <br /><br />Esox23

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14 foot deep vee flooring help

You haven't said what the boat is made of.

esox23

Recruit

Yeah I did fail to mention that, It's Aluminum.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Esox23

D

DJ

I would suggest that you leave the bech seats it. They add strenght to the boat and stiffness toi the gunwales.<br /><br />Because of that, I would suggest you just cut plywood to fit between the benches and just lay it in. Otherwise, you will have to install brackets on the sides which I do not think you want to get into that.