14' center console project

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,

I just got back from picking up my next project boat. I'm not sure what this thing is, but it's titled as a 1965 homebuilt. :rolleyes: Sure.

It's 14' long, 60+" wide, and various other measurements.

The floor and transom are shot, but the hull looks to be in decent shape. I've been eyeing the Carolina Skiffs for awhile now and really like their boats, so when I saw this thing for sale I decided to make my own.

I'm going to rip everything out of it. The plan it to make a center console boat. I will raise the front casting deck to about 1" from the top of the gunwales. I also plan to build my own t-top for the boat.

I'm using TD's little green boat he rebuilt for $800 as my inspiration on this one. I want to try to come in around $1000 for this setup. I'm thinking a 25hp motor should be about what I need for this rig?

fish_001.JPG

Transom is toast. Notice that metal strap on the back? That's a great idea! The wood in the transom was like paper. It's gone. The tailight by the plate didn't stay on the trailer. It fell down about 10 miles into the return trip. I attached my own light bar under the boat. I don't like messing with lights on these old boat trailers, so I just slap my own light bar on there because I know it works.

fish_002.JPG

Notice the duct tape on the trailer towards the front of the boat? Awesome! The trailer is rusting through, so the previous owner made a splint with two pieces of pipe and tape. I should have thought of that! :cool: This trailer is going to the trailer place in the sky. I'll keep the axle, tires, and springs, but the rest is gone.

fish_003.JPG

LPS? Is that a manufacturer?

fish_004.JPG

My line drawing. I usually make line drawings before starting on my boat projects. It helps me keep everything together in my mind before attacking the project.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 14' center console project

i think i would rethink the t top. suggest a walk under bimini. you are getting a good bit of weight high for the width of the boat. if you are taking the live well, and rear bench out, i would bulk up the gunnels with 2x6, to keep the strength. or the may look like tin foil flapping against the water. 25 should be great.

this is an 18 footer i did 2 years ago.

this is the smallest console available. an you have to use rotary steering off set from center to get it into the console.
http://www.toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?id=39&f=4

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it turns out as nice as your previous projects I'm sure it will be awesome. A johnnyrude 28 SPL would be a great motor for it. A friend has a similar looking little Whaler with that motor on it and it moves very well.

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think i would rethink the t top. suggest a walk under bimini. you are getting a good bit of weight high for the width of the boat.

You may be right. I'm going to see what I can come up with using conduit & fiberglass. If I can keep the weight down then I'll build the t-top. If not, I'll end up going with a bimini similar to your setup.

As for the console - I'm going to build my own. I really like the one here:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=252667&page=2

I've been wanting to try something like that for awhile, so now is my chance. :)

ezmobee - Thanks. I've never done a fishing boat before so this should be fun. I'm not much of a fisherman, but there is no reason my boat can't look good while I'm not catching anything. :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm not much of a fisherman either. Only usually done it once or twice a season before but this year I'm getting into it. Been out 3 times and caught fish each time. Hoping to get out again sometime this week.

topdogjosh

Recruit

As far as the console goes, if you have any questions on building it give me a shout. I owned a stereo shop for several years and we built the custom fiberglass speaker boxes and pods. Its really a pretty simple(but time consuming) process.

einsteinsdog

Cadet

I think you have a great plan there, i agree about being too top heavy. Even a bimini on my 14 ft jon boat makes it kind of top heavy in the wind!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great idea, i knew you wanted to build the console. but gave you that for idea's and sizing. it took all the space to get the control in the console.

stevewolverton

Petty Officer 1st Class

tashasdaddy - This may seem like a strange question, but where did you run the the steering and shift/throttle cables? Are they under the floor/deck? I noticed in the new completed boats section there is a little whaler with a "bump" he bought from Carolina Skiff that his cables are in. I guess there's a few ways to skin this cat.

einsteinsdog - I'm going to give the t-top a try. Worst case I'm out $20 worth of conduit and my time. It'll basically be like my bimini on my Larson, but it will have 1" conduit legs for support. My 14' Larson is affected by wind gusts as well - but not alarmingly so.

topdogjosh - Thanks for that offer - I'll probably take you up on it. I'm not planning anything fancy, but maybe a couple of lifted ovals on the back for the steering wheel to mount and maybe a design on the front or sides. I just don't want the bland center console. I'm thinking of cutting the ovals out of plywood, and stretching/stapling fleece to it and wetting it out with epoxy. Does that sound like I'm heading in the right direction?