120 Mercruiser 2.5L - No spark

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see an issue with running lean
The motor might be dying because the shift interruptor switch is hanging or mis-adjusted. The interruptor makes the distributor miss to allow the clutch in the drive to unload so it can be moved into neutral. If it hangs or not adjusted correctly the motor can die

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Don't see an issue with running lean
The motor might be dying because the shift interruptor switch is hanging or mis-adjusted. The interruptor makes the distributor miss to allow the clutch in the drive to unload so it can be moved into neutral. If it hangs or not adjusted correctly the motor can die
So could I try running it with the shift interrupter wire off my distributor. It will be hard to shift for that ride but at least I will know

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will have to key off to shift from in gear to neutral if you disconnect the shift interupt

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
you will have to key off to shift from in gear to neutral if you disconnect the shift interupt
What does key off mean? Sorry. I can’t run it without the shift interrupter?
Also, if there was dirt on my needle and seat valve, would it be acting up like this?
I’m talking to the guy who rebuilt my carb, they are professionals and the guys to go to up in Canada. Some gas came out the vent hole today, above the choke plate…..and when i shut the key off I can go back and see gas dripping onto the throttle plates

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also, if there was dirt on my needle and seat valve, would it be acting up like this?
I’m talking to the guy who rebuilt my carb, they are professionals and the guys to go to up in Canada. Some gas came out the vent hole today, above the choke plate…..and when i shut the key off I can go back and see gas dripping onto the throttle plates

Attachments

• IMG_5639.MOV
    27.6 MB · Views: 0

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

alldodge

Staff member
With the carb dripping fuel then its shutting down from flooding. For this to happen the float is not set correctly, the float is to heavy and is sinking, a piece or crud got in the needle seat, the needle seat is bad or there is to much fuel pressure

alldodge

Staff member
Key OFF
means you have to turn the motor OFF to get the drive out of gear. The Alpha drive clutch must be unloaded to shift into neutral, just the way its made.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
exactly what it states and what AD re-iterates

Key OFF
means you have to turn the motor OFF to get the drive out of gear. The Alpha drive clutch must be unloaded to shift into neutral, just the way its made.

because you have a dog clutch and not a cone clutch, without the shift interrupt you can not get the engine into neutral unless you key off and shift, then key back on to catch the motor.

it not that its hard to shift, it is that it wont shift.

hence, key off to shift.

what the shift interrupt does is kill the ignition so you can shift into neutral.

that is why if your shift interrupt and lower shift cable are not adjusted right, it dies going into and out of gear

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you
With the carb dripping fuel then its shutting down from flooding. For this to happen the float is not set correctly, the float is to heavy and is sinking, a piece or crud got in the needle seat, the needle seat is bad or there is to much fuel pressure
The carb guy says to try unhooking the fuel line and running the carb dry. Will that get rid of the piece of crud on the needle or seat

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you

The carb guy says to try unhooking the fuel line and running the carb dry. Will that get rid of the piece of crud on the needle or seat
Do you guys know the measurement from the bowl gasket to the float seam for a 2.5L In line 4 on the Rochester 2 jet

alldodge

Staff member

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 6

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All Dodge.
Just helping my dad with his outboard. Mariner 8hp on his sailboat.
Ran rough, under powered. Pulled the plugs, top was always wet.
We put a new coil pack(Primary ignition coil) on the top…the cylinder that wasn’t firing.
He put it back on and same problem.
What should I do now. Oh and what Ohm setting do I put my multi-meter to check the secondary winding in the coil. 20, 200, 2K or 20k?

alldodge

Staff member
All Dodge.
Just helping my dad with his outboard. Mariner 8hp on his sailboat.
Ran rough, under powered. Pulled the plugs, top was always wet.
We put a new coil pack(Primary ignition coil) on the top…the cylinder that wasn’t firing.
He put it back on and same problem.
What should I do now. Oh and what Ohm setting do I put my multi-meter to check the secondary winding in the coil. 20, 200, 2K or 20k?
I'm not that great with 2 cycle stuff. I would post it in the OB section and look for some of those guys. I would look at what makes the coil fire, magneto, CDI box. I'm rambling because I would have to look up the motor to see how its built

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm not that great with 2 cycle stuff. I would post it in the OB section and look for some of those guys. I would look at what makes the coil fire, magneto, CDI box. I'm rambling because I would have to look up the motor to see how its built
I was hoping that would light up blue for you to click

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like it has 2 main coils and 2 items called coils (item 8) which do the switching when the magnets on the epass by (that's a maybe). At least that's what it looks like

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Looks like it has 2 main coils and 2 items called coils (item 8) which do the switching when the magnets on the epass by (that's a maybe). At least that's what it looks like
Item 8 is the coil that supplies power to the ignition system (the function of the battery on an I/o). There is otherwise a completely separate ignition system for each cylinder. 2 sets of points, that's where you need to start. Op, this couldn't possibly be further off topic. Start a new thread in the mercury ob section.