12 or 24 Volt Minn Kota Motor

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to purchase the new Minn Kota I-Pilot trolling motor and it comes in 12 or 24 volt style. At this time I am using a 12 volt PowerDrive V2 on my 18' Starcraft and it does the job. I carry 2 batteries to be able to fish all day so it wouldn't be that difficult to change to a 24 volt system.
So I am asking the question. Is there any real advantage to go to the 24 volt system, or just stay with the 12 volt?

Rick.

Captain
Re: 12 or 24 Volt Minn Kota Motor

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=69394

Have a look at this thread, a friend of mine was asking the same question. The consensus was to go 24 due to battery life performance. I appears to last much longer than two -12 volt batteries hooked to a 12 volt motor. I don't know your answer but there are answers here from informed users. Best of luck. Rick.

Cap'nJohn

Recruit

I had both, and the 24 volt is worth the trouble. More power from a 24 volt, lower running amps for the same thrust/speed, and better battery life. Go 24 volt and you will be happy! :)

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks...I know I could count on you to steer me in the right direction. Glad I asked before I purchased the motor.