12 ft aluminum Sears Gamefisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAMRYNCRAZIES

Recruit
My father gave me a 1980 Sears Gamefisher with a little 5 hp Mercury on it. I have had it stuck out back of my house for the last 4 or 5 years. I didnt want to start working on it until I found a cheap little trailer to haul it on. Well I finely found one for $300.00. My goal is to have a nice little boat I can take on small ponds and fish with my buddy or kids. So with a very limited budget I have started my project. I would love any advice. These are some before pictures.

Attachments

• IMG00554.jpg
    IMG00554.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG00555.jpg
    IMG00555.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 5

KAMRYNCRAZIES

Recruit
Re: 12 ft aluminum Sears Gamefisher

One of my big reasons for doing this thread was to pay it forward. I got a lot of great ideas from this site. One of the the things I wanted to share was how little money you have to spend to retore a little boat.

The first thing a did was clean the boat with a friends preasure washer. I dryed it out and started sanding with a palm sander. This took about 2 nights to do. Maybe 5 or 6 hours. Not fun but needed to be done. Next I filled the boat up with water and crawled under the trailer to look for leaks. Ouch.... About 12 to 15 of them. I think this thing had hit everything but the daily double. I marked them with a black sharpie on the outside and then in the inside when I drained it. I did a bunch of looking into how to stop leaking rivits. I asked a guy at work "Mr.Kill" who is smart as they come. He turned me onto an epoxy made by locktite for aluminum. It costed about $4.00 at the Depot. I decided at that price to give it a try. I applied it to the marked spots and gave it a night to set up. The next day I put the water to it and couldnt believe how well it worked.

Stage 2 was deciding how I wanted to paint the boat. I know it didnt need to make it look new. I just wanted protection against for what I was using it for. I went to walmart and bought some self etching primer made by Rustolium(note: its not with normal primer. Look in the Automotive bondo stuff). I used about 6 cans at $4.00 apiece to do the inside and the top part of the outside. After priming II came across some Herculies Truck bedliner on sale for $60.00. I have read mixed reviews on putting this on your boat but decided to try it because I thought it would be extra protection against leaks. I put 2 coats of that on just above the rivit line on the boat. It was really easy to work with. I let that set up and started taping that boat off to paint. Again I didnt want to spend a lot on paint so looked around and found a True Value hardware store having a grand opening sale. They had spray paint on sale for .99 cents a can. I bought like 15 cans :) of white and maroon. I painted the inside white to keep it cool on hot summer days. And the Maroon for the outside top half. Painting went well but just took a lot of coats. I am posting pics below.

Attachments

• IMG00562.jpg
    IMG00562.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG00573.jpg
    IMG00573.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG00574.jpg
    IMG00574.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 6

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 12 ft aluminum Sears Gamefisher

Welcome to iboats!

Well..... looks perfect to me. What would you like to do? I will be the first one to say it but I WOULD NOT try to put a casting deck on it because it will make it tippy........ tippy is not good for kids.

Need to paint it? Rustoleum is great paint but, if you are going to paint bare aluminum..... it will need some prep and a special primer.

Paint the inside....freshen up the motor and go fishing! :)

Pommeman

Recruit
I have the same boat. What is the HIN? I can see the plate on the back port side in your picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.