12' Alum. Boat-Do i need Floation?

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought a 12' all-welded aluminum boat. it dos'nt have any floation in the bench seats so my questions are, do i really need some foam floation on this little boat and if i do how can i install some? All the bench seats are welded with just a 3/4" half moon cut-out for drainage for the drainplug area in the transom. Any ideas or advice is always appreciated.DSC00678.JPGDSC00677.JPGDSC00679.JPG

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 12' Alum. Boat-Do i need Floation?

There are many out there that do not have floatation.

NYBo

Admiral

How can you be sure there's no foam if the seats are sealed up?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that thing is built like a tank, nice high gunnels.

If the seats are air tight, they will act as flotation.
Looks like maybe the seat is a sealed box, that was welded into place.
Maybe you can get a peek at the bottom and check.

Otherwise, you could open the top of the seats and fill with foam, but then you lose the air pocket, and the nice clean looking boat.

What brand is that boat?

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well when i tap the top and sides of the bench seat it sounds hollow so i'm guessing theres nothing but air in there. i wil ck. again with a bent piece of stiff wire.
How can you be sure there's no foam if the seats are sealed up?

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your about the fourth person who said the same thing "built like a tank". When taking the boat off the trailer it felt like at least 300lb. this boat is homemade by a union welder built in 2005. I don't know what gauge Aluminum he used but its thick. I'll take it out May to see how this tank will float so if i don't sink forget about the floation.
Wow, that thing is built like a tank, nice high gunnels.

If the seats are air tight, they will act as flotation.
Looks like maybe the seat is a sealed box, that was welded into place.
Maybe you can get a peek at the bottom and check.

Otherwise, you could open the top of the seats and fill with foam, but then you lose the air pocket, and the nice clean looking boat.

What brand is that boat?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

You could have blocks of closed cell foam in the seats and still have a hollow sound. Take a piece of bent wire and stick it in the "U" hole and probe upward.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A boat that floats is a very good thing. Even when swamped.

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First poke with a stiff piece of wire to check for foam or a sealed compartment. If not, flip the boat upside down on saw-horses or something so that you can have access to it from underneath. The you can spray foam into the seats through the cutouts being careful to leave the drainage path clear. You may have to poke an appropriate size object through the hole while the foam is uncured to clear the drainage path.

64osby

Admiral

One of the things I see is at the transom, is that exposed wood where the transom is cut down?

Foam would be good, if it doesn't have any I think pevaguy has a great idea. Spray in maybe tough to get in the holes though. Another idea may be to cut some holes a little lower (higher off the floor) and use the pour in foam to fill up the seats.

You sure the PO made it or did he just rework it? To make that would be quite an undertaking, if he did make it he did one heck of a job.

It looks like one of the USCG transports used in the invasion of Normandy

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

PO was a young man who has a duck-hunting show on local cable TV and he cut the transom down to a short-shaft lenght to fit his 20hp. It looks like that was the only thing he "reworked". I am the 3rd owner of the boat. Pevaguy that is a good idea about the spray-in foam and i may do that.
One of the things I see is at the transom, is that exposed wood where the transom is cut down?

Foam would be good, if it doesn't have any I think pevaguy has a great idea. Spray in maybe tough to get in the holes though. Another idea may be to cut some holes a little lower (higher off the floor) and use the pour in foam to fill up the seats.

You sure the PO made it or did he just rework it? To make that would be quite an undertaking, if he did make it he did one heck of a job.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PO was a young man who has a duck-hunting show on local cable TV and he cut the transom down to a short-shaft lenght to fit his 20hp. It looks like that was the only thing he "reworked". I am the 3rd owner of the boat. Pevaguy that is a good idea about the spray-in foam and i may do that.

Use pour in foam NOT spray in. The 2 part pour in foam is designed for boats. I would place a piece of PVC under each seat as a drain so the foam does not fill in the drain holes and then 2LB density foam will be plenty. Nice boat!

perry barras

Petty Officer 2nd Class

those seat boxes might be solid welded boxes than installed and welded in place the guy that built that boat seems to know whats he is doing!!! nice jon!!!!