115 Ficht Oil alarm

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
HI
I have a 2000 model 115 Ficht and the "out of oil" alarm comes on about every 10 minutes, there is oil and the engine is getting oil, I just trun off the key and restart and all is OK for another 10 mins or so, I guess the sensor is dodgey or something, qanyone know how to test/replace it?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 115 Ficht Oil alarm

noelm said:
HI
I have a 2000 model 115 Ficht and the "out of oil" alarm comes on about every 10 minutes, there is oil and the engine is getting oil, I just trun off the key and restart and all is OK for another 10 mins or so, I guess the sensor is dodgey or something, qanyone know how to test/replace it?

There is a possibility of a weak diaphragm inside the oil pump and/or a faulty oil pressure regulator. The pressure switch on the pump could be malfunctioning also as could the oil injector itself. A laptop with the Evinrude diagnostic software is needed to find out which error code(s) is in the computer's memory, Then you can troubleshoot from there.

You can also remove the pressure switch and install a psi gauge in it's place and start the motor. The minumum pressure should be around 6 psi and the maximum 20#.

See your dealer and get a service manual on order. Until you know for sure why the alarm is sounding, you may be damaging your motor.

If you are running in temperatures below 40 degrees, the factory recommends using their XD-100 oil which flows better at freezing temps.

noelm

Does the Ficht use the same oil system as the carby models? or at least similar, I have a manual for a carby V4 and a Ficht specific manual is on order.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

noelm said:
Does the Ficht use the same oil system as the carby models? or at least similar, I have a manual for a carby V4 and a Ficht specific manual is on order.

For some reason my brain and my keyboard did not work together composing my original answer to you yesterday. It must be an age thing as I hadn't cracked open any beers at that time yet.

I edited my original post to give you a proper answer.

noelm

OK, thanks for that I use XD50, as the temperature here never gets anywhere near that cold, I will check out a few things on the weekend and maybe even get the dealer to check the codes, although my local dealer is not all that good (in my opinion) and the next one is miles away! is the software available to "home users"? as I am a computer tech and have a son in law who is a mechanic (not marine of course) and am confident to use the Laptop for testing.

noelm

the code is a 39, I think he said something like "no oil at manifold" or close to that, the tech suspects the oil presure sensor, as he has replace a few of those on my model, parts $207-00 but of course there is no gaurrantee that it will fix problem, just a "best guess" there seems to be two types for my engine.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

check with your dealer, No code 39 on a 2000 model motor.
It should be one of the following codes:

code 34 - oil injector open circuit

code 35 - oil pressure loss or switch malfunction

noelm

hhhmmm that seems a bit odd, that is what he told me, I had better get him to recheck it (if he did check it all) as the boat is still there today, I was going to pick it up on my way home from work.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Just a bit of information, Code 39 can only be seen on 2002 and later Evinrudes, not on 2000 models.

noelm

I have a manual on order, but it will be a couple of weeks as they are out of stock, is there any tricks to swap the oil pump from one motor to the other, sensor is OK so pump next step, looks easy enough, but may have some traps (I hope not), by the way the dealer said code was right, I sort of hinted that he may be wrong and he did not take it too well, so decided to go the home repair route if possible.

noelm

hhhmm, I am swapping the oil pump on the weekend, so if no one has any clues to tricks involved, I guess I will find out tomorrow.

noelm

I swapped the tacho connectors with the other one, same result, did not get a chance to do anything on the weekend, too much other stuff to do, heres hoping.