115 Evinrude Intruder Carb, 60 degree

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lost my motor over memorial weekend, was running WOT trimed high and lite just me, 6000rpms, 1-1.5' chop running great, hit an unseen wake. Motor came out but didn't hear it wind up any higher. Know it came out cause when it caught popped the bow up pretty. Sad sound started soon after.

Mechanic believe cause of destroyed block is overrev, most here believe these engines like high rpm, Would the rev limiter not sure at this point of 6200 or 6700 or do you think it was the load/no load/load that borke these parts. Spin a bearing, destroyed a rod and shoot parts through the waterjacket? Was it the rpms you think or that it is a 10 year old motor and the bearing was on its way, bearing ate through about half of the crank as well. Should I prop it a little lower 5700 rpms to give a little more custion? (mechanics suggestion), lower motor for better bite?(my thoughts), try and get a 6200 limiter??? OR just an expensive lesson to trim down in rough water.

Said does not look like heat or lubricaction was a problem. ? Much smoother ride when trimmed up and on top however.

Last edited:

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 115 Evinrude Intruder Carb, 60 degree

Also any recommendations for break in oil. I am about a half gallon into the semi-synthetic Fitch oil I had picked up, was running bulk XD-30, have read somtimes it is better to run Non-synthetic during breakin.

Also normally run seafaom, 1/2 can per 15 gallons, 2 out of every 3 tanks should I run this during break in??

Break in procedure recommendations also appreciated.

When Will it be able to pull skiers again, after break in, halfway through breakin in ect. I know slalom puts quite a load on the engine during starts? ?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Which cylinder was it? What does the piston look like in that cylinder? What do the other pistons look like?

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3 banks look great, 123-125 compression, well lubricated
top passengerside bank, very low compression, small pieces of alluminum in it, said to be the debri from the bearing/rod, no mention of the pistons, so I assume they were not the casue, no mention of overheat or lack of lubrication.

Am getting, re-manufactured powerhead complete with crank, rebuilt carbs (standard on all thier rebuilts) and new waterpump

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

said cylinders were very clean as well

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The clue is going to be the pistons. You'll need to know what the #2 piston (top port cylinder) looked like.

Also, what spark plugs were you running?

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is at the shop but I believe they were NGK spark plugs, ran them for two years myself with them, never had to have them changed came from dealer in AR, that had all maint on the boat, I assume it was ran all ten years on these plugs.

I will ask to see if there was piston damage. When I call, baot is at the shop I now use at the lake about 2 hours away. Spun bearing caused by over rev is what I am told caused this mess

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What should I be looking for as far as damage to the piston?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you run the correct plugs with the new powerhead. The 60* motors are pretty sensative about them.

Actually the bearing quit spinning, that's the problem. We've ran those bearings over 7000 rpm consistantly with no problems. It could be that a needle just quit spinning or there could be a cause.

Again, your pistons will be a huge clue but another thing they have to check is for water in the oil tank. Or water in the fuel, check the water seperator. I'm sure they'll change it anyway - that's standard in a replacement / rebuild.

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had taken it in for a spring check up in March, change filters, lower unit lube, ect. Doubt there was water in the oil or gas, add seafoam 2 of every 3 tanks, never let it get lower than a quarter tank.

Only change is two or three tanks ago switched from full petro (3 gallons last year this spring)XD 25/30 bulk oil to a bottle of Fitch Synthetic blend they had on the chelf, have about third a gallon left and whatever is in the oil tank

Will ask to look at the piston when I pick it up

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What are the best most correct spark plugs if you don't mind me asking?

Secondly, at 10 years old would the bearings still be able to handle the extra high revving? Not like it is a race motor that get rebuilt often?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The bearing should should have been fine. It may have been a freak thing or there may be a cause that can create a repeat performance on the new powerhead.

I'd sure look at the oil tank, even if you "doubt" there's water in it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Especially if it has a deck fill. It probably doesn't, most everybody has figured out the problems with those by now.

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oil tank is plastic jug with cap under rear deck, should I have it emptied and start with new oil just in case?

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it possible that added stress from it going from full load and trim to no load out of the water, to loaded when it entered damaged the bearing/crank/rod as it started making noise within a few seconds, shut it down and trolled back but motor never died, restarted it once for about 3 seconds