FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
The O rings on my fuel/air line connection need replacing for the old style pressure tanks. Was wondering if how to get to them to replace. I was quoted $130 for a new connectionIm sure theres away to remove brass bits to get to them. But how
Don't panic the o rings can be replaced.Unfortunately its been 50 years since I saw it done.Its pretty simple with the proper tool which I believe can be fabricated.Someone will be along with more info I'm sure.
MAKE SURE you get the Evinrude/Johnson OEM rings. I tried standard ones and they simply did not work. The OEM slipped in with a little oil and seal great. Rick
The link is from the sponsor of this website and the part is from the largest aftermarket supplier: Teleflex/Sierra/Morse et al. The ad says the part is compatible - where and when did you buy that o-ring?
I only suggested that aftermarket part after his dealer blew him off - which I have to say is not a necessarily local phenomena - he could have put it on his regular order and saved the fellow the shipping charges.
The specs quoted in Teleflex's Sierra catalog do not match the measurements of the OEM 301824 o-ring. I've heard other complaints that they don't fit. Maybe they've fixed the problem, I don't know...
301824 is a special size o-ring. I hunted all over creation trying to find a source to buy them cheaper..no luck except BRP dealers.
Well you are in luck, then, because the OEM part is only $1.65 at ishopmarine .com - 1.57 ea if you buy ten of them. That's a 42 cent savings per each over the iboats knockoff!
Thanks for the help guys, pretty hard sourcing parts when you live in N.Z.
I went to a engineering specialist because my dealer couldn't get me any.
Managed to find the closest one which had a bigger outer and inner diameter freebies to.
Got them in and thought they would leak but after priming up stayed hard and ran with out cutting out or leakingWell i guess time will tell though.
I tried to replace the rings with a small needle and had a heck of a time, i figured there must be a better way so i took the hose barb off of the back of the connector and slid a thin brass punch in the hole and putting the base of the punch on an anvil tapped on the edge of the front of the connector with a wooden mallet and the brass insert came out making it simple to replace the "o" ring, then i started the brass ring back in by hand and then put it face down on the anvil and gently tapped on the backside and pressed the brass ring in flush with the base. the thin punch goes through the center of the spring that pushes the center part out, remember where the little washer goes. It was soooo much easier!!!
I replaced them both with ones from laingsoutboards(around $1 apiece) without taking it apart and using small jewelers screwdrivers. took less than 5 minutes. Rick