another new boat thread

a2tripp

Cadet
Hello, I just bought my first boat and found my self here looking for some answers. I have spent more time on iboats since I bought my boat than on the boat. If only I spent the time on iboats before I bought it....

Well anyways

boatweb.jpg

(hopefully theres a photo up there)

I am a new owner of this 85 bayliner contessa 2850. The wife and I impulsed bought this boat last week for a real steal (so we thought). Anyways I will be here on the forum a lot. Growing up in Alaska my whole life and having boats in the family does NOT prepare you to own your own boat, but thats ok. I have sold my jeep and truck projects to make room (in the garage and the wallet) for this rotted out hulk. Hopefully with some sweat, money, and luck the family and I will be out in the water for next season.

I am sure I will have lots a silly noob questions that will keep everyone here laughing at their monitor, please bear with me.....another iboats restoration is coming.

Jared

Last edited:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: another new boat thread

Welcome to the forum..
not-tagged-smiley-3585.gif

She will be a fine boat with patience and TLC..Good luck on her. Looks like the trailer needs a little lovin too!
not-tagged-smiley-9934.gif

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Looks like you have your work cut out for you! Not only the boat, but the trailer too!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

That's quite a first boat!!!:) Congrats!!! Looks like you'll be having some GREAT times on the water, in comfort and style.

One problem, though... Only one pic???:confused: Are you kiddin' me???:facepalm: A boat like that, and you only post one pic???:(... Hellooooo... We're waiting...

What, you still havn't post any more?:rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way... Welcome to iboats!!!:D

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to iBoats. She looks like she has a ton of potential and you sound like you're ready for the challenge. Good luck and as Veritas said - more pics!

a2tripp

Cadet

ok, I got some more pics.....please be nice....

100_0007.jpg

first off, this does not look like a 454 like the po (friend) told me. I think I got a 350, which I am ok with. Motor looks like its been underwater, or maybe it was replaced with a non marine 350, either it needs to be pulled.

100_0009.jpg

this is scary, notice the rotted plywood spacer between the motor mount and the stringer (I think thats what you call it)?

100_0004.jpg

at first I was happy to buy a volvo duo prop, thought it needed painting, but what the pictures dont show is that there is a film of metal dusty stuff on it, I think we call it corrosion. but wait....

100_0005.jpg

this was the best looking zinc on the boat, again pictures dont do it justice

a2tripp

Cadet

100_0008-1.jpg

hopefully this was put in right

100_0016.jpg

because right above the fuel tank there is a soft spot..

and since we are inside.....

100_0014.jpg

my interior, although complete....its molded beyond repair. but thats ok, thats the wifes job.

So the next couple pictures explain a lot......

100_0019.jpg

100_0020.jpg

100_0021.jpg

yeah those yellow things in the last picture are fungi of some sorts... so looks like the boat was under and not above the water....so I wonder if it happened in moorage in the ocean or a drowning by rain...time to look below deck

a2tripp

Cadet

100_0017.jpg

you can see by the oil left over were the water came up to. looks like freshwater so i am guessing that its from the rain. (here in ketchikan we get over 13 feet of rain a year). I suppose the po could have flushed it with freshwater after it sank but I imagine more damage would have resulted.

100_0012.jpg

all the teak on the boat is rough, inside and out

100_0013.jpg

flying bridge is rough

100_0015.jpg

dickinson, a plus

a2tripp

Cadet

oh yeah the trailer

100_0002.jpg

new rims and tires a must, the po said the axle bearings were repacked this year and the rollers were disassembled and greased last year....

So....I bought this boat KNOWING I would need an interior, exterior cosmetics, bottom paint, and other little things. The PO knew nothing, i mean nothing about boats. Story goes he bought it from his neighbor who had it sitting in the front yard for x many years. He then put over $10k in repairs, maintenance, and electronics. His mechanic said the boat was in despair but structurely sound. He had the boat running for two seasons. This year, first launch the po had a bad day, meaning he had to come back on his kicker for some 8 hrs, he then decided to sale the boat and did not touch it since i bought it.

The story goes on that the boat would not stay in gear, his friend the mechanic said that the lower unit had water in the oil, po then got fustrated and advertised the boat needing a new lower unit. My friends convinced me that it needed adjustment and some gaskets.

My biggest fear is transom and stringer rot. My wife is seeing her family out of state and when she gets back we will decide whether we will resto this vessel. Although the transom seems sound (hopping and jumping on the lower unit and looking for flex) the through hull bolts are rusty and there appears to be rust colored seepage from the glass in some areas. I have took a screwdriver to the stringers near the motor and stabbed them for penatration, nothing. I will be drilling them soon. I also have a soft spot in the galley next to the head. I am trying to contact the town surveyor to come and check the rot (I guess hes got some fancy doohickey that will tell me how bad it is).

So I already planned on investing another 10k in this boat before I bought her, I dont even think thats realistic now, even if I do all the work. But thats ok....:( I don't think I have seen anything on this boat that I am not willing to tackle. I plan on rebuilding whats needed on the motor and drive and if I am really dedicated maybe I will repower. Safety will be priority

at least I got my dads skiff

100_0001-1.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

You've got your work cut out for you fer' sure - but it'll be pretty cool when she splashes down! What a sense of accomplishment. Hope it goes easier than you plan for!