FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Hi everyone,
I put in a new transom on my 72 Glastron V97. My question is would it be better to rebuild the engine and stern drive ( 302v8 & Volvo 270 ) or refit with modern drive train?
Are there any companies that have exact fit turn key drive trains? Thanks in advance!!!
Hey everyone! I have a 1972 Glastron with the Volvo 270 drive and the 302. Anyone know the correct alternator to put on it? Is it a single post or a double? Also, I rebuilt the motor and put her in, started it with the drive in a barrel with water. It wouldn't draw water up to the engine so I...
Hi Guys, I have a question concerning the type of lube to use in my Volvo 270 drive that is on my 72 glastron with the AQ190. I have been told by a few that back in the 70's the preferred lube in that drive was 10w-30 engine oil. But a couple of mechanics have said to use the synthetic variety...
I'm looking for a block to replace the 302 that was in the boat. My question is can I just pick up a 70's series 302 and not have to worry if it is marine or not? Would the crank rotation be the same as an auto block?
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 1972 Glastron with a 302 ( badged with Volvo-Penta valve covers) but I believe it's a ford. It has the 270 Volvo/Penta drive. I got the boat for a song because it had a popped freeze plug. I had my fingers crossed that the block was ok.
I cranked it up with the...
Hi everyone, I just purchased the Glastron V197 with a 302 engine. It's in real good shape but the motor popped a freeze plug. I was wondering if you all could give me any pointers on how to check the engine once I've replaced the plug. Can I put the prop in a tup of water and start the engine...
Hi guys,
Well I finally got the pictures taken so I need your honest evaluations and expertise.
The flooring around the seats and the walkway to the bow are soft. But the seat bases and the upper wood all seems solid. I know I will probably have to replace the stringers too.
I took someones...
Hi all,
I'm new to this boating thing and I have some ??'s concerning no fire to the plugs. It's on a 1989 Bayliner capri with a 85 hp force I/O. No fire to the plugs so I took the panel that the coils and the cd boxes are attached to and turned it over.
I unplugged the connection from the cd...
Hi all, New here and I don't know diddily about boats. I usually restore muscle cars but I'am venturing into the water so to speak.
I just picked up an '89 Bayliner Capri with the L-Drive.It has an 85 horse. I guess my main question is concerning the transom and other wooden supports. The...