FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Hi, 4 days ago I replaced the prop shaft seal on my 1972 johnson seahorse 9.5 hp. I was told I could use permatex 2 in the gasket groove in the skeg and on the screw threads. The squeeze out is still soft/sticky. I haven't refilled the lower unit yet. Was I misadvised about permatex 2. Thanks.
Can anyone tell me if the prop shaft oil seal can be replaced without droping the lower unit? I'm thinking it can be carfully drilled and pulled. Then a new one slipped on with the shaft in place. What kind of sealant should the seal be bedded in? Thanks.