storage costs where you live

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see a lot of posts where people are keeping their boats outside with tarps and all sorts of contraptions to keep the weather out. Is indoor storage available where you live or is it costly. In Ontario it is usually only a couple of hundred a season. Seems cheap for the protection it provides> :)

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: storage costs where you live

i keep my 20' center console in outside, cover it yourself storage for 50 bucks a month

NoWorries

Seaman Apprentice

I've checked in on storage prices recently, just so I don't have to trailer back and forth to the lake every weekend. Around the lakes here you can get a 30' bay for $40 to $50 a month. Definatly worth it for winter storage IMO. But, I'm lucky enough to have a barn with a 14' X 80' drive and a shed on it that's 12' X 80'. So I've got plenty of room for my 3 boats, a john boat, 2 atvs, log splitter, utility trailer, and other odds-n-ends. Might be doing the storage building thing within sight of the lake, just to cut down on trailering.

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone know where to get the shrink wrap stuff that marine places use for winterizing. they want 350 just to do my 25 footer.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Indoor storage is available here, but the bigger boats like mine have to pay a huge premium. <br /><br />For outdoor winter storage this year I paid $19/foot ($646 + tax). Price included haul, block and re-launch in the spring. I did my own winterizing and tarping.

KRS

Banned

It just sits in my yard, I didn't think so many people paid for storage, I'm surprised.

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a co-worker with an extra, empty shed. I paid him $50 for the entire winter. There is no door on the front of the shed but it keeps the snow off the boat.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

$110 a month in Seattle & that a'int covered! :( ....JK

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trent : THanks for the link!! :) :cool: :) :cool: :)

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haut: Why is seattle so spensive?????Or is it a HUGE boat? :) :cool: :) :cool: :)

KRS

Banned

Geez, I'd better be living in it for that kind of money!

mattttt25

Commander

haul, block, powerwash, store, launch. i think i'm paying around $600.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't know the cost, but back where I grew up (Pittsburgh, PA) there is a company that has an old limestone mine where they store your boat, camper or RV underground.<br /><br />The place is huge (2.5 million square feet) so they get a lot in there, and the temperature is a constant 55 degreees.<br /><br />Really nice idea. They have other places around the country also. The web site is http://www.business-journal.com/profiles/gatewaycommerce.html in case anyone is interested.

vipzach

Lieutenant

Arounfd here the price ranges from $60 to $130 a month for indoor storage. It depends on how nice the place is and where it is. I pay $125 a month for an indoor 12 x 30 unit. These storage places don't haul or pickup and fill up pretty quick come late Oct or Nov. I choose this place because it is pretty secure and everybody has their own entrance code and everything is video taped. It is kinda high, but I feel pretty safe that my boat won't get anything stolen out of it and won't be sitting in the snow or rain.(If we could ever get any)

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

On Lake Wylie I pay $1350 /year for storage in a rack. They put it in and out whenever you call. The marina closes Nov. 1st and reopens March 1st.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by brine:<br /> I see a lot of posts where people are keeping their boats outside with tarps and all sorts of contraptions to keep the weather out. Is indoor storage available where you live or is it costly. In Ontario it is usually only a couple of hundred a season. Seems cheap for the protection it provides> :)
Count your blessings. I used to live in an area of cheap land and wide open spaces.<br /><br />North shore of Boston you can expect to pay $275 month for enclosed storage of a small boat (17ft). *IF* you can find an empty one. You'd have to start paying in July or August to be sure you had a spot once the snow flies.<br /><br />Mine sits on the driveway next to the garage. It's no big deal to sweep the snow off it after a storm.<br /><br />I see more and more people getting their's shrink wrapped for winter...

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Brine, it is a 22 footer.....Things are not cheap in "Emerald City"....Add the $175 it costs to moor it & it gets pricey....It is conveniently located & gives me a place to work on it....My suburban & boat combo is 48' feet long, not really something that you want to be cruising around the city with.... I LOVE TO BOAT, so I just have to bite the bullet when it comes to cost..... :) JK

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last two winters I paid $30.00 a month for covered storage. So over the summer I put up a steel building. The BLDG will pay for itself over time. Also I don’t have to worry about hail damage in the spring and fall. Now if I can just keep the darn cats out.

tommays

Admiral

it cost so much here i switched to a trailer boat :eek: <br /><br />many of the yards rules about buying you supplys from them as part of the annual contract were border line legal and i finnaly threw in the towel.<br /><br /><br />tommays