List the classic "OOPS" while boating

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: List the classic "OOPS" while boating

Forgot to get my truck keys from my buddy after he parked the truck. He went tubing...his car keys and my truck keys went to the bottom of the lake! thank God for AAA and his wife's purse locked in his trunk with spare keys.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forgot to raise the ladder when tubing, causing a nice rooster tail for the tubers.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Went on the annual 4 day fishing trip (first of 22, so far) we had;<br /><br />Lots of dry, warm clothes.<br />Lots of fishing equipment.<br />Lots of gas.<br />Lots of eats.<br />Enough beer for 3 days.<br /><br />New rule -- 1 case per man, per day, plus a case.

steve reuter

Cadet

on the first day i towed the boat i pruned a few trees with my antennas needless to say one of those trees got the best of the antenna.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

for my list<br /><br />Dad discharged the batteries instead of charging so we ended up with 2 dead batteries - no jumper cables in dads car and NO tools to take out the car battery<br /><br />Self bailing boats is an oxymoron <br /><br />IF something has broken tell the person who is trying to work it - Brother was cranking in the boat and he let go to take a breather thinking that the catch would work - well it did not - the handle proceeded to whip around causing two huge welts on his knuckles as the boat then rolled back off the trailer - so now his hands are crippled and the boat is back off the trailer - Dads comment was "oh that broke forgot to tell you"<br /><br />Dont let dad fix or install anything - dad put in a Radio on the boat - radio works - we get out on lake ontario during the fall salmon run find out that the EITHER the radio works or the fish finder but not both he ran the power lines right next to the sonar lines<br /><br />Not to mention that he hooked up his own trailer lights to his car but wired them BACKWARDS from the trailer lights - he did not want it fixed so we had to rig another fixture in between so that the lights would work on his car and my brothers suv<br /><br />Tie a rope to the swim ladders - that is if you only want to buy 1.

Twidget

Commander

New one last weekend, forgot to hook the lights up after pulling the boat.

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

taking sister in law on the boat 14,4 stone of her about 176lb she cant even hold a fish another one is couldnt reverse down a slope so we unhitched the trailer ooops away goes the boat wit engine and all never do that again also no3 and no1

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

forget to turn motor off after loading on trailer :rolleyes: <br />forget kill switch<br />discharge batteries instead of charge.<br /><br />All of these things are so simple to avoid yet we seem to do them, sometimes more than once...<br /><br />Good to know I am in good company :D

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

This is how dumb I am. I attached both ends of the safety chain on my kicker to the engine forgetting to attach one end to the boat. you guessed it, she now sleeps with the fishes.<br />Stalker

dutch135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My sister saw a guy coming into a dock to pick her up, and coming a little too hot, went to put the boat into reverse, but his seat was turned so the back was against the side of the boat, and the lever wouldn't go into reverse, and by the time he did get into reverse the bow of the boat had ridden up onto the dock about 3 feet, (thank god the water was high then). She said the look in my (his) eyes was incredible. Then the boat just slowly slipped back down the dock into the water, slight scarf up front under the bow hook, but amazingly nothing major, and nobody got hurt. <br />somebody else mentioned coming into a dock no faster than you can catch it manually, or something like that.

79 Silverline

Seaman Apprentice

#13 - Forgot to lock the motor in "stow" position before pulling it up the ramp (manual trim). Ended up getting the boat stuck on the ramp and had to rock it back into the water while people made all sorts of comments. It actually happened a few times my first season.<br /><br />On my friends boat, we forgot to pull up the anchor before we took off too. It wasn't until one of us looked back and wondered what in hell was making a roostertail behind us, when we realized our anchor was waterskiing behind us...<br /><br />On land: After parking my trailer, I forgot to remove the safety chain - I pulled forward to go park the truck, the chain pulls tight, and jerks the trailer hitch into the license plate - BANG. Oops.<br /><br />Also on land: When pulling into the gas station, I turn tight around the gas island to avoid a 1 ton truck that wouldn't turn wide to give me room. Ended up pinning the boat hull on one of those steel posts they put in to protect the gas pumps. Oops.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Backed out of the slip with shorepower cord still plugged in. It was ugly. Those things really lock into the socket, especially when you wrap the cord around the power kiosk 2 or 3 times.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like #25..borrowed a friend's trailer and forgot to fold up the little swing-away wheel on the front of the trailer...backed down the ramp and tore it all to hell...cost $60 for a new one.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pushed my girlfriend out from the dock on her jetski so she'd be pointing in the right direction. Jetski wouldn't start. After she drifted about half a mile, I decided I better go rescue her. My boat wouldn't start either. Had to go find a friend to rescue her. Yeah...she was pissed. Turns out our local mom & pop store/gas station was selling watered-down gas.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went ocean fishing one day in a friend's 25' Parker. Came in that afternoon, got the boat on the trailer and he told me to climb in his <br />truck (F-350 Turbo Power-Stroke)and pull it up the ramp while he kept an eye on the boat. I didn't realize how much horsepower a Turbo Power-Stroke has until it was too late. Gave it a little...ok....way too much gas, smoked up the whole Oregon Inlet Fishing Center boat ramp facility, burnt about 1,000 miles of rubber off his new 36" tires and pissed off a bunch of people. My friend was cool about the whole thing though. He only called me "dumb-***" a few times on the drive home.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Earlier that same day...well...my friend's 25' Parker has a 454 Mercruiser, and the throttle on the center console is located in the worst position they could think of....you can't help but to bump into it if you're not careful. Naturally, I bumped into it and nearly threw us both over the transom. My friend couldn't say anything though because he did the same thing, plus he leaned on the keyswitch, which activates the choke...killed the engine twice. Parker maybe needs to redesign their engine control layout.

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1. FORGOT TO PULL UP ANCHOR X 3, CUT LINE TO ANCHOR WITH PROP, PROP GRABBED THE ANCHOR AND LINE AND PUT NICE DENT IN BOAT (GLAD IT DIDNT KNOCK ME UPSIDE THE HEAD).<br /><br />2. LET DOG RIDE POINT, HE SLIPS OVER FRONT, GOES<br />UNDER BOAT, HITS PROP, THOUGHT HE WAS CUT IN TWO, HE SURVIVED BUT IS LEARY OF RIDING POINT<br /><br />3.RUN OUT OF GAS 2ND TIME OUT IN THIS BOAT (FUEL GAGE STUCK)RAN AROUND LAKE IN 2 STROKE GAS HOG THINKING I WAS GETTING GREAT FUEL ECONOMY, GOT DARK, GOT FOGGY, GOT LOST, GOT LECTURED ABOUT STAYING CLOSE TO DOCK BY FISHERMEN THAT PULLED US IN.<br />4. LET LITTLE BROTHER WITH NO DRIVING EXPERIENCE PULL ME IN TUBE, RUNS ME INTO TRAIN BRIDGE CONCRETE SUPPORT.<br /><br />5. LOSE MY FAVORITE CAPS EVERYTIME OUT.

plazmore

Cadet

i have a couple i dont see in here yet...<br />*my buddy anchored his sailboat in puget sound during low tide...wouldnt listen to me about anything, so i kept my mouth shut...two hours later, we look up and its floating out to sea...twas humorous watching him row his dingy as hard as he could to catch up to the tide driven vessel...<br />*i beached my boat at lake chelan, on a sandy beach, and left for a few hours. a storm came up and pummeled the back of the boat with huge waves, shoving it up onto the beach, and filling it to the top with water, and sinking it into the sand til the lower unit was completely under the sand. i was lucky tho, as my battery didnt pop or leak, and i was able to connect my bilge pump to it while completely submerged, and it ran just long enough to empty the hull of all water.<br />*went out on an outgoing tide that i paid no attention to, noticed after a few hours that the motor was digging into the sandy bottom...so i hustled toward what i thought was deeper water only to be high and dry in seconds. was almost midnight before i could float away. worst part was i was only a few hundred feet from the launch. i couldve walked to it, but the mud was like quicksand...<br />*my cousin failed to remove the rear tie downs, and went for an unusually aggressive launch attempt...the boat tipped way up, the came crashing down right on top of his new powerwinch...ouch!

salty87

Commander

"4. LET LITTLE BROTHER WITH NO DRIVING EXPERIENCE PULL ME IN TUBE, RUNS ME INTO TRAIN BRIDGE CONCRETE SUPPORT."<br /><br />...i think i've seen that video!

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like #1...after a hard downpour, took boat out to drain the water by pulling out the plug while underway. Water ran out nicely so I continued cruising around. Forgot about the plug. Went home...tied up at dock...went inside...boat sunk.