HELP

needadrink

Seaman
Can anyone please help me.<br /><br />I'v been trying all weekend to remove the prop on my 50hp Mercury outboard with no success.<br /><br />It seem to be held on by the corrosion. I have used CRC and heat but none seem to work.<br /><br />I would be most greatfull for any tip's.<br /><br />Thank's.

needadrink

Seaman
Re: HELP

Tkank's fishthebay <br /><br />I have got the retainer nut off with no problems but the prop is frozen on the spline so I don't think a torque will help.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let is soak for a while in a good penetrating oil, then possibly some taps with a rubber mallet. Are you wanting to repair or replace. If replace, you might consider a reg hammer, just be careful. Good luck :D

needadrink

Seaman

G'day kev_79<br /><br />again thank's for your help but I have had it soaking in penetrating oil for the weekend but still no luck. I hav also used a larg hammer and a lump of wood with no avail. Do you think a bearing puller would work? :confused:

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe, a three jaw puller, if you can get behind the prop. If you do, screw the nut back on the shaft making the tops flush so you will have more area to put the puller screw on. Other than that, I don't know, you may have to cut the da*n thing off.

needadrink

Seaman

Thank's kev<br /><br />as it's 10pm over here I think I will get to bed and give it a go in the morning.<br />I will let you know how it pans out.<br /><br />thanks again

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Try removing the spacer and put the nut back on so there is room for the prop to move if it could. Doesn't have to be a lot. With the motor in the water put it in reverse and give her some throttle. Hope that helps.<br /><br />Good luck!

needadrink

Seaman

Dhadley <br /><br />thank's for your help. could this work if I use a 44 gallon drum of water or do I have to put the boat in to make it work. I checked in all my local boat yards today and they all seem to think I will have to cut the dam thing off. I don't want to destroy the prop unless I have to. :(

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

That Auzzie seawater must be as powerful as their beer! <br /><br />If it's stuck that tight, you'll probably pull the prop off the hub using a puller. Then you can split the hub and remove it. Guess it pays to remove 'em and grease 'em up once in awhile, like the book says.<br /><br />Good luck!

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had to burn the rubber out of my prop hub, then split the hub center off the splined shaft. A prop shop then pressed a new hub center of my prop. You can bet I greased up the prop shaft before I installed the prop again...<br /><br />You may have to resort to that...<br /><br />Walt

SNOOSE

Cadet

Had same dramas with my 50 had to abliterate the hub to get it off you can usaly pick up 2nd hand props out of the quakka.<br />I am glad its not just me <br /> :D

needadrink

Seaman

Thank's guy's<br /><br />I got Friday off from work and have the use of a puller so I bet you can guess what I will be doing this weekend. <br /><br />I will let you know how I get on but if all else fails I have some beers on ice. :D

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great! Glad to hear ya got a backup plan, too.<br /><br />Try drippin' a bit of that Foster's on it. Not too much! Ya don't wanna dissolve the shaft. Maybe that'll loosen 'er up.<br /><br />Enjoy yer weekend.

needadrink

Seaman

I have been trying all day to remove that darn prop with no luck, so now it's time to hand it over to the professionals.<br />It may cost me a lot more but at least I will keep my sanity.<br /><br />By the way Beernutz I would not drink Foster's if it was last beer on the earth.<br />Only people from "EASTERN STATES" or another country would be seen drinking that muck. :D <br />I did't dare put any on the prop as it would have took the paint off. :D <br /><br />Thank you all for the help.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx for the warning, mate.<br /><br />Time to dip into that cooler and put the backup plan into action. Right?

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Fellows,<br /><br /> It may be a little late but, I ran across some penetrating oil the other day that puts the name brands to shame. It will creep into as little as a millionth of an inc of space. It has loosened some stuff for me that I thought was torch time. It is called AERO KROIL (as it is on the can - not shouting) they have a website WWW.KANOLABS.COM (again as on the can).<br /> ;)

thosch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Come on, needadrink...inquiring minds want to know!!!<br /><br />This has got to be frustrating. I would have thought that loosening the nut and reving in reverse would have done the trick.