1976 Mercury 650 won't fire at all !

smithdog

Recruit
I replaced the switchbox and had no luck. There is no power getting to the coils. The stator appears to be in good shape. I also took the distributor cap off and can't get the rotor off. Is there a trick to that? Could it be the module in the distributor? I would appreciate any information I could get.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 Mercury 650 won't fire at all !

Disconnect the orange wire from the stator at the port side of the motor, and try it. Do not make contact with this wire,as it carries 200V (i think)..<br />The orange wire,when grounded, is how the engine is killed.So if you disconnect it, make sure you can touch it to ground without physicly comming into contact with it.<br />This will eliminate externals, like a shorted ignition or kill switch and all cabling.<br />Let us know how you do.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1976 Mercury 650 won't fire at all !

smith, if your motor has a distributor, it has a batteryCD ignition system....the stator has nothing to do with the ignition system, except keep the battery charged.......if you have 12v on the red and white terminals on the switch box when the key is turned on, and still no spark,chances are you need a new trigger<br />this is in the distributor and not removeable..you have to replace the distributor body...dont try to pull the rotor off the shaft, is all 1 piece, too.