The automatic use of Seafoam

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good afternoon Gents,<br />If you did not want to do the entire seperate container seafoam decarb method, could you mix some seafoam in with the gas/oil and then simply fish and ski all day? <br /><br />Thanks.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: The automatic use of Seafoam

In a quick responce, NO. It will not do what you want it to do, It needs the shock treatment so to speak and the time to desolve heavy carbon.

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

For information, I did the seperate tank thing on the muffs in the driveway and it seemed to help a little. The next day I bought the Deep Creep Sea Foam and sprayed it into the carbs when it was running and then killed it and put the airbox back on then pulled the plugs and sprayed a liberal amount into the cylinders. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then started it. Holy sh!t, it about smoked me out. I could not see the engine from 10 feet away outdoors! The black oil, crud and crap that was left on the drive was amazing. I think that is the way to do it.

jamminmaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice!<br />I think I will try the can method tonight.<br /><br />Hopefully I dont have any enviromentalist neighbors!<br /><br />Rock on Walleye Man

thosch

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi guys. SeaFoam in the gas will not do the shock trick, but I put it in the gas at every fill. I rebuilt the carbs five years ago, and have been using SeaFoam as preventative maintenance. Carbs are still looking good. I still decarb annually, but it hasn't been as bad since using SeaFoam.

whosmatt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i couldn't find the deep creep so i just used the regular stuff... first i pulled the plugs and dumped some (with a funnel) in each cyl.. cranked it over a few times by hand and let it sit for 30 mins or so. pulled the airbox, started it up and let it blow out the stuff in the cyls, then i took the funnel and slowly poured seafoam into the carb until the motor died. let it sit 5 mins, fire it up and blow out the crap, then repeat. i did that until the can was empty... i know why they call it seafoam now... the stuff that came out of the hub of my prop would have scared me otherwise.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just run clean gas and oil, products such as sea foam may do more harm than good. (IF IT AINT BROKE LEAVE IT ALONE !)

Walleye Man

Seaman Apprentice

Good luck getting clean gas. Unless you personally refine it yourself, it won't happen. There will be additives and crap you don't want in it. Just the way of life:)<br /><br />2.00 for average gas = not as many fishing trips

Riverrat43

Seaman Apprentice

When you guys are doing the decarb with the motor in a tub or drum, the "shock treatment" as you call it, do you rev the motor a lot or just let it idle and cough stuff out? Do you put it in gear?

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by GARY B:<br /> Just run clean gas and oil, products such as sea foam may do more harm than good. (IF IT AINT BROKE LEAVE IT ALONE !)
Sorry Gary, you couldnt be more wrong, Todays fuel just doesnt burn clean, and the very idea that you are burning an oil along with it does cause carbon deposits in your engine. You especially do not want the carbon to build up around the top rig, (or anywhere else for that matter), It can cause cylinder scoring eventually due to not allowing the ring to compress in the cylider. If you have never decarbed, you would be surprised at what will come out of your engine if you do, and you should.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2 Questions: 1)Is it ok to inject Deep Creep through the Schrader Valve. I've been doing it that way with OMC Engine Tuner? 2)Is it necessary to spray Deep Creep into spark plug holes? Does'nt it go there anyway same as the fuel mixture? I decarb on the on the water and am nervous about climbing back there with a wrench and a can. On my boat it's an awkward and dangerous place to be. Thank you, Pete

Walker

Captain

Riverrat, don't decarb in a barrel unless you want your lower unit to be black with carbon when your done. Strickly cosmetic, but it looks like crap.

marops

Seaman Apprentice

Where do you find the Seafoam products?<br /><br />I checked local marine store, two Autozone's, a Lappens auto parts, a private autoparts store. Dang, this stuff ain't easy to find...<br /><br />Thanks, Gents!

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

By sparying decard in your cylinders your taking away that special light protective lube inside the piston walls and in return you will cause more piston and cylinder scoring !I would not ADD additives to a two strokes engine , your much better off doing it the old fasion way, (TAKING THE CARBS APART AND CLEANING THEM BY HAND! SAME GOES FOR THE PISTONS AND OTHER PARTS)

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for clean gas i meant keep, all filters clean and use a good quality oil.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Almost all NAPA stores have Deep Creep and Sea Foam. They're all over the place!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by GARY B:<br /> By sparying decard in your cylinders your taking away that special light protective lube inside the piston walls and in return you will cause more piston and cylinder scoring !I would not ADD additives to a two strokes engine , your much better off doing it the old fasion way, (TAKING THE CARBS APART AND CLEANING THEM BY HAND! SAME GOES FOR THE PISTONS AND OTHER PARTS)
Well, wrong again except for the taking the carbs apart part, the only way to adaquatly clean carbs is to disasemble them, but we are not cleaning carbs here, we are desolving carbon. Seafoam is in itself a lubricant and that is one reason that it is recomended by this forum as ok to use.<br /><br />Dang Gary, your batting 1,000 here.