1984 omc gm 3.0l engine running rough?

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
ok, so i went and started my engine in order to show the guy that it was a running and working boat. just a few weeks ago. he came back in turn after watching the brief video of it and said it runs rough. now, this boat has sat all winter without being started in a heated garage. is this rough or am i right in saying after 30 seconds of running that its just because of sitting over winter and its a cold start? if it is running rough. nothing has been changed or touched on it since ive had it. (Just before winter) any suggestions? thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2014.MOV
    29.7 MB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Check the fuel contents, might be a bit of water, or gunk in the carb. Could be anything after sitting thru the winter. Might just need to get and run it hard for a bit

matt167

Captain
If I we’re buying it, that little hiccup wouldn’t bother me, knowing that with a compression test I could verify it mechanically.. yes it’s a little rough but not bad

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
it was a full on trade for a bayliner cabin cruiser, but because of this lil hiccup he renigged on the deal we had agreed with. wich was straight trade as he wanted something smaller and i am looking for a cabin cruiser.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Service and adjust the points, set dwell and timing. Check the fuel

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i will also check the carb.
because you have points, the first thing you need to do is file them to get the layer of corrosion off the terminals from sitting. then rough gap, set dwell with a meter, then set timing.

that is the downside to points is you have to do that every spring.