14" trailer wheels with 5/8" holes

NULLDANL

Recruit
I have a 2008 Lowes tandem axle trailer with 13" wheels. The bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5" but the holes are 5/8". All new wheels of this size have 1/2 inch holes. I can not find anyone who has the wheels with 5/8" holes. They can be reamed out, but it is not as good as original would be.
Do you know of any place where I can order that size wheel?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have a 2008 Lowes tandem axle trailer with 13" wheels. The bolt pattern is 5 X 4.5" but the holes are 5/8". All new wheels of this size have 1/2 inch holes. I can not find anyone who has the wheels with 5/8" holes. They can be reamed out, but it is not as good as original would be.
Do you know of any place where I can order that size wheel?
Might be easier to replace the studs in the axle than drilling out the wheels

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you have tapered lug nuts and they are large enough in diameter to safely cover the 5/8" hole you would be fine. The lug nuts should center the wheel. Not an ideal situation, but very workable.

matt167

Captain
I’m trying to figure this out in my head as to how or why.. a 5 lug trailer will have 1/2”-20 studs or lug bolts depending on axle mfr. A 6 lug or 8 lug trailer may have 1/2” or 9/16” studs but the same wheels will fit. I do remember working on one trailer at work that had a 5 1/4” bolt circle. It was a rusty heap of an old Lowe’s trailer and we didn’t have a wheel to fit and needed to tube the tire since the wheel was rusted out… drilling the lug holes out would have made it fit since it was only 1/4” off. Wasn’t something we could do for liability reasons

matt167

Captain
The lugs are 5/8 " That is the problem. All the newer lugs are 1/2" bu in 2008 many of them were 5/8".
I’ve worked on trailers 40-50 years old to current and have never come across anything other than 1/2” on a 5 lug. 6 or 8 lug are either 1/2” or 9/16”. I know 5/8” lug nuts exist but I gotta say I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on a trailer. Except on some older trailers with dual tandem wheels.

If this is really the case with yours, I’d put standard hubs on it. Probably could use them anyway

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If this is really the case with yours, I’d put standard hubs on it. Probably could use them anyway
I would do the same.

I also have never ever heard of 5/8" studs on a trailer with 5 studs before.

Last edited: