TRS sterndrive maintenance

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been offered a decent deal on a 1980s vintage scarab II. It’s safe and it runs, but it could use some work. It has 2 TRS Sterndrives on it. Owner says they were rebuilt around 20 hours ago.

Where do you find parts and manuals for these? All the threads I find on various forums are 20+ years old.

I’m worried if I tear up one of these drives on a sandbar or something, it’ll be impossible to repair or replace.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Verify that transom on that 40 year old Scarab is solid.-----Many are in poor shape.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Manual can be bought from Brunswick

Scott06

Vice Admiral
One thing to keep in mind TRS has a different transom hole. If yiu ever wanted to repower with bravos you would have glass work to do.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
One thing to keep in mind TRS has a different transom hole. If yiu ever wanted to repower with bravos you would have glass work to do.
even if you go XR, M6, etc.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yeah same thing, just didn't want him thinking it was a bolt in to get to a non obsolete drive.

I suspect finding the right folks you can keep a TRS going for a few more years.
people are still rockin OMG Stringers.....

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
TRS was a pretty robust drive but they could use one of two different transmissions (shifting is done inside the boat) borg warner or mercury marine. This is where problems might arise. Last I checked not much available for the merc trans. I worked on a lot of Scarab II's, they were my second favorite Wellcraft. Just a little behind the Nova II. Both are very responsive to trim and propping. Might want to check what trannys are in the boat before you pull the trigger. BAM marine might be able to help.

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
Huge thanks to everyone. Great info. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger.

If I scag a drive on a sandbar, it looks like there are 1 or two places that offer re-man’s or used drives. They seem to pop up on eBay every couple weeks.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Better check that transom or you might leave more than an outdrive on that sandbar !! At that age, good chance it is weak !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When my Scarab was 17 years old it needed a new transom and stringer work.

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
Current owner told me the transom and stringers were redone about 6 years ago. Since then, it’s lived on a trailer, and never really been in the water more that 6 hours at a time.

I can vouch this is correct. Owner is my neighbor and good friend, so I saw the boat every day. I’ve summarized & winterized it several times. He told me all this long before he intended to sell.