PSA on Winterization Antifreeze

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
ACE hardware used to sell it, I got it from Amazon last time, a case of 6 gallons that would last me a LONG time (each gallon makes 2 gallons of AF, like 3 years worth)...

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
ACE hardware used to sell it, I got it from Amazon last time, a case of 6 gallons that would last me a LONG time (each gallon makes 2 gallons of AF, like 3 years worth)...

Thanks, my Ace Hardwares are becoming sparse near me.

I did see that my local O’Reilly Auto has Prestone’s version. The website shows it in stock for $22 a gallon of concentrate.

233D6753-62F1-4F7D-846E-EAD164871AEC.jpeg

Attachments

• 2202D2A0-DCA8-4349-ABBE-22EE362A7C04.jpeg
    2202D2A0-DCA8-4349-ABBE-22EE362A7C04.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 6

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow . . . I think we are onto something. If there is PG-based AF/Coolant, then it is a fair assumption that it is meant for engines, Right? :LOL:

The W.M. -100˚F stuff is $22/gallon . . . so perhaps there is a less expensive alternative, if it is called 'coolant' :unsure:

I'm using about 12 gallons on the Engines and A/C units. I don't want be replacing the sea water strainers . . . darn near killed myself being a contortionist putting them in 🤪

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That's a good deal, then mixed 50/50 that's costing you only $11 per gallon. Much better than -60!
When I run out of my stock of Sierra I will try that thanks for the tip!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As long as you are OK with the lowered levels of freeze protection (-29 for PG vs -34 for EG) and boil protection (220 for PG vs 265 for EG) there's no reason why you couldn't use it for an engine coolant as well as winterizing your raw water side. In fact I'm going to do some more research and see how high you can get the boil over protection # when going to 60% PG antifreeze mix. For cooler running marine engines, it might be fine even at 50%. For auto engines that can run from 210-220* as a normal thing maybe not so much. For a closed cooled inboard running at 160-180 might be fine. That way if you have a coolant leak into the bilge and your bilge pump kicks on you're not putting toxic EG into the waters.

airshot

Rear Admiral
One of the reasons I went back to an outboard. Soooo much easier to maintain on all levels. Gotta love self-draining. And of course, access to the motor. Contorted body not needed... At least the I/O I had...
My I/O had plenty of room to work around, so that was not an issue. However, my season was always cut short due to having to winterize the I/O. I downsized to an outboard because the I/O was getting to big for this old man to handle by myself. Wife is dissabled and kids are grown up with their own families, so if I want to go boating or fishing I am usually alone. Get an ocassional passenger, but if I had to rely on help in order to go, it wouldnt be worth having a boat. Yes the OB is less work and maintenence but I do miss my bigger boat.!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My I/O had plenty of room to work around, so that was not an issue. However, my season was always cut short due to having to winterize the I/O. I downsized to an outboard because the I/O was getting to big for this old man to handle by myself. Wife is dissabled and kids are grown up with their own families, so if I want to go boating or fishing I am usually alone. Get an ocassional passenger, but if I had to rely on help in order to go, it wouldnt be worth having a boat. Yes the OB is less work and maintenence but I do miss my bigger boat.!!
There's times I'd love to have my bigger boat on bigger water. Had many good times on it. I didn't have the luxury of easy access around the motor. The stern covered the back half and I had to squeeze part of my body thru access panels.... Launching and retrieving is easier with the OB. Just alot less hassle all around. I have to winterize a motorhome, that's enough...

therosses5

Cadet
The marina that winterizes mine, which happens to be an authorized Merc and Volvo dealer/repair center, leaves the system empty. We freeze, hard sometimes, in NY.

Take it for what its worth.
I've used authorized dealers for 15 years. This my first year on my own. The Volvo Penta manual (5.0 GL) states to only drain it and then put the 4 peacocks and the hoses back on for the winter.
I was planning to follow a youtuber's method of pouring PG into the thermostat "housing" just as added protection and then remove the peacocks and hoses again just to coat whatever gets covered in that process.
Thoughts on what the manual states regarding draining only vs the process if using PG?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I've used authorized dealers for 15 years. This my first year on my own. The Volvo Penta manual (5.0 GL) states to only drain it and then put the 4 peacocks and the hoses back on for the winter.
I was planning to follow a youtuber's method of pouring PG into the thermostat "housing" just as added protection and then remove the peacocks and hoses again just to coat whatever gets covered in that process.
Thoughts on what the manual states regarding draining only vs the process if using PG?
your fine.

the manuals used to have the optional pouring AF into the system via the T-stat housing with a funnel, however it was removed.

all that is needed is drain. if you are using PG, make sure to get the -100

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
air don't freeze!

taken last year, 5 degree air temp, was about -20 that night. If you notice the bottom of the jug, it was significantly pushed out. The -75 AF was virtually rock hard.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I did the same test years ago with -50 & -60 and that’s why I used -100 which has a freeze point of like -45*F. Now I mix up some Sierra PG antifreeze with water 50/50. Less expensive & totally adequate for our coldest winter temps.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you mix the Sierra PG 50/50 it gives freeze protection down to -26*F, you can vary the mix as you see fit for your conditions. Use an antifreeze refractometer it’s easier to use & more accurate. Anything that gets hard like that you don’t want inside a cast iron engine or exhaust manifold. The Sierra is an actual engine coolant…

tpenfield

Staff member
Just bringing my thread on the dreaded 'W' back to life for the folks who need to winterize their engines and plumbing systems.

I was able to grab some (12 gallons) of the -100˚F PG AF for $13/gallon last week. It seemed like the deal of the century vs. the ransom I paid last year. :rolleyes:

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just bringing my thread on the dreaded 'W' back to life for the folks who need to winterize their engines and plumbing systems.

I was able to grab some (12 gallons) of the -100˚F PG AF for $13/gallon last week. It seemed like the deal of the century vs. the ransom I paid last year. :rolleyes:

My recent boat acquisition allowed me to dodge this "fun", it was priced right for the condition. Where I live, finding a 18ft to 20ft passenger focused cuddy cabin without being married to an I/O is somewhat of a miracle. If they are listed, they have delusions in the asking price.

It's nice to have options on what I can throw on the transom.

The bad thing is in exchange the floor and very possibly stringers will have to get replaced by me. Good thing the interior pieces are in good condition, so I don't get nickeled & dimed to the "poorer house" doing boat seats and upholstery.

Anyways, the first two boats I had were I/Os so I've paid my dues at least for a time.

I wish all those taking on the winterization a successful and safe process.

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
Mine's always dry. From the FourWinns (2 different marinas) to my current Chap (again, marina performed). Think the only, only time it had AF in it was when the marina graciously winterized the livewell.

Probably call in a few weeks to schedule an appointment for winterize & shrink wrap.