Help needed with Tahoe Q8i

vthokies

Recruit
I just bought a 2005 Tahoe Q8i. I have had it for a week and taken it out on the water a few times, but the fuel gauge has not budged from Full. Does anyone know where the fuel tank and fuel gauge connection is located on the boat?

Also, I have noticed that the engine frequently stalls at low speeds/idle. Particularly when docking and almost without fail in the transition from reverse to forward. Any insight into what might be causing this would be helpful. Could be just that it’s an old boat…

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi, Welcome to iboats forums…
You have an Alpha stern drive?

Chances are your shift cables may be out of adjustment or worn out so that as you shift it’s holding the shift ignition interrupt switch on to long and killing the engine… That or you’re actually shifting to slow which can kill the engine as well.

The fuel tank sending unit is usually around the rear (or center) of the fuel tank and most likely the tank is under the floor of the boat… Try following the fuel inlet hose to the tank that runs inside the boat which should lead you to the fuel sending unit general location… Sometimes there may be an access plate of the fuel tank servicing parts of the tank.

vthokies

Recruit
Hi, Welcome to iboats forums…
You have an Alpha stern drive?

Chances are your shift cables may be out of adjustment or worn out so that as you shift it’s holding the shift ignition interrupt switch on to long and killing the engine… That or you’re actually shifting to slow which can kill the engine as well.

The fuel tank sending unit is usually around the rear (or center) of the fuel tank and most likely the tank is under the floor of the boat… Try following the fuel inlet hose to the tank that runs inside the boat which should lead you to the fuel sending unit general location… Sometimes there may be an access plate of the fuel tank servicing parts of the tank.
Thanks for the comment. I was able to locate the fuel tank under a floor compartment. Tightened a couple of wires and I’m now getting what seems like an accurate fuel gauge reading. Not sure exactly what I did, but I’ll take it. Thanks again!