Boat running slower

Buzz328

Cadet
Issue we are having is boat is going slower at faster rpms. Normally top speed is at 27 mph on a 22ft. Party barge with a 115 mercury outboard. Wondering if water in one of the toons could be the issue. Left hand side seems to be lower than the right side.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Increased drag from increased weight can cause that symptom. It sounds like you have an idea of the cause. It's time to pull it out and check for water in the log.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

I agree, pull it and check for water.

most of the time, the toon logs crack at the top where the M brackets are.

Buzz328

Cadet
Increased drag from increased weight can cause that symptom. It sounds like you have an idea of the cause. It's time to pull it out and check for water in the log.
Thanks for your input. I hope this is what the problem is

Buzz328

Cadet
It has a little bit of growth, but not much. The toons were cleaned last season.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I cleaned my pontoons this spring before the boat got put in Here it is august and the toons need cleaning again, stuff accumulates fast and does cause drag.

Rabbit929

Seaman
Prop hub slipping? Mark it with a sharpie the run it, and check. Could be slipping under power.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
My toon speed dropped from 21 to 14. Went to local sandbar to scotbrite the dirty toons. NOT the problem, rope wrapped around prop. No power T&T on my 1975 Blue Band.

ahicks

Captain
One guy had a tree branch lodged ahead of the motor, causing a lot of drag and stirring up the water in front of the prop.....