Volvo Penta SX-A drive U-Joints

Bills928

Recruit
Hi folks .... New to this forum and have a question.
I pulled my drive and I need to replace my U-Joints, but VP does not give a part number for just the U joint ... They only offer the complete drive shaft assembly at $500 (yikes!!).. has anyone out there replaced their joints and if so do you have a part number for the joint you used.

Thanks
Bill

2008 Chaparral 210 SSI
5.0 GXI VP
SX-A outdrive

alldodge

Staff member
There is a listing in the Adults Only but for some reason the links are not working. Sierra and others make them and the difference is outside or inside keepers

This is what I have on Mercs
U-Joint outer clips
X-drive 866136A01 Spicer 5-789X
865496A02 (Bravo) Sierra 18-6406

U-joint Inner clips
1-6301DL Autozone (Alpha)
805536A2 permalube – cross Greaseable older Merc 75831T1 , GLM 8030 at Mercstuff, Sierra 18-2174

Hey @achris @GA_Boater

Andrew W

Cadet
I pulled my drive and I need to replace my U-Joints, but VP does not give a part number for just the U joint ... They only offer the complete drive shaft assembly at $500 (yikes!!).. has anyone out there replaced their joints and if so do you have a part number for the joint you used.

Thanks
Bill

2008 Chaparral 210 SSI
5.0 GXI VP
SX-A outdrive
I’m pretty sure this is what you need. I just did this on my 08 sx-a

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks
Bill

2008 Chaparral 210 SSI
5.0 GXI VP
SX-A outdrive
I replaced my u-joint a few years ago using the original made in Sweden Volvo part. It was close to $400 at the time, so I’m not surprised if it’s $500 now. It’s worth it. Just make sure to inspect the bellows every other year for leaks by pulling off the drive.

garytd

Recruit

Thanks
Bill

2008 Chaparral 210 SSI
5.0 GXI VP
SX-A outdrive

Just replaced my u-joints on my 1998 sx used SKF uu 317 from NAPA inside c-clips $20.55 each

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: GKN Style U joints

Well Don was right once again. I get why you sent me there Don.

Since the Sierra number is 18-6406 and that cross references to a Volvo u joint withthe number 3860232.

There is some info on the net for that PN from Volvo.

Neapco 1-0005 note: All units I found had the bearing cup mounted zirc-that won't work.
Precision 344
Napa NPJ P344 this has a heat treated cross list $21.42
Napa PUJ 344 this has a forged cross list $29.99
Spicer 5-4x
AEC 504 made in China can buy 2 on Ebay for $25 delivered(will confirm location of zirc)
Rockford K4
Alloy 1021
Autozone Duralast 1-005DL

garytd

Recruit
Unfortunately the SX-A drive uses sealed U joints that are not serviceable unlike the older M drive.
Unfortunately the SX-A drive uses sealed U joints that are not serviceable unlike the older M drive.
I really don't see what matters if it is greaseable or not. I greased my new ones, pulled the zerk fitting and plugged it. My old joints were greaseable but I never pulled the outdrive in the 25 years I owned the boat and they still looked good and had lots of grease still in every cup. The real problem seems to be finding one that fits instead of buying the whole assembly! I mis-typed the u-joint number. It should be SKF UJ 317. No Problem getting these from NAPA

Bills928

Recruit
After some research and measurements I found the Moog 344 ujoint (external c clips).... were an exact match to the original joints on the SX-A. I installed yesterday while driveline was still attached to outdrive ....they fit perfectly. As an added bonus the Moog joints have a zerk fitting so they can be greased each time the drive is removed.
Moog components are very high quality and Amazon has them for $24.
Hope this helps someone out there.