Smokercraft 162 pro mag bow always high

jtpfarm

Cadet
I have a 97 smokercraft 162 pro mag with an evinrude 70. When getting up on a plane or coming off, my stern is always plowing deep. While on a plane, my bow is always high. Not standing in the air, but I can't get it down as far as I'd like. Can't even get to level. My cav plate is about level with the bottom of the hull. Anyone have any ideas?

Bit of extra info, when I first got this boat, it took everything it had to get it on a plane. Just bogged and plowed. I put a different prop on which helped it get out of the water much better, but at the cost of top speed. (20 mph is top end)

Thanks.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
the only thing I can think of is waterlogged foam under the floor. Also make sure you trim it in before you get out on plane.

jtpfarm

Cadet
the only thing I can think of is waterlogged foam under the floor. Also make sure you trim it in before you get out on plane.
Wouldn't waterlogged foam make it sit low in the back when not in motion? It sits level then. And after a week in the water there isn't a drop of water in the bilge.

Is there any way to see if it is waterlogged?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Do you have power trim?

Is motor trimmed all the way in ?

mr 88

Commander
Wouldn't waterlogged foam make it sit low in the back when not in motion? It sits level then. And after a week in the water there isn't a drop of water in the bilge.

Is there any way to see if it is waterlogged?
If waterlogged it may be evenly soaked , not just the stern area. Foam will hold the water , so you will not see any water from that in the bilge. Easiest way to check it is to weigh her and check that vs factory spec. Taking into account any extra weight like gas , batteries gear and anything else that was not on it when leaving the factory. If your only getting 20 mph out of it while solo you have a issue , might be engine not performing correctly , propped wrong , what is your rated max RPM and what are you getting out of it now ? Hull waterlogged is another possibility

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
smoker craft 162 mag

That is how that boat runs at around 25 MPH judging from the size of the spray droplets. That's not high, that's normal. 70 hp should be plenty for that hull with a couple of folks and gear. As Roscoe mentioned do you have power trim. Note the angle of the engine vs hull in the picture. Are you setup like that or lower unit tucked in closer to the transom?

smoker craft 162 mag
This is more like 35 MPH. Note length of wetted area and engine trim position. This boat is built for big water and that means high sides and deep v, high bow and the stern rides deep in the water.

Otherwise, it would ride like my Crestliner 1750 with "reverse chines" providing stern lift...but bow is still high and note out of the water....this is probably a 35+ MPH picture also:
crestliner fish hawk 1750
How is your engine running. What are your RPMs at what speed? How's your compression?

jtpfarm

Cadet
If waterlogged it may be evenly soaked , not just the stern area. Foam will hold the water , so you will not see any water from that in the bilge. Easiest way to check it is to weigh her and check that vs factory spec. Taking into account any extra weight like gas , batteries gear and anything else that was not on it when leaving the factory. If your only getting 20 mph out of it while solo you have a issue , might be engine not performing correctly , propped wrong , what is your rated max RPM and what are you getting out of it now ? Hull waterlogged is another possibility
Any idea what the weight should be? I can't find it anywhere.

I put a different prop on to get it out of the water better. 20 mph is at about 4500-5000 RPM. I can easily over rev it.

jtpfarm

Cadet
smoker craft 162 mag

That is how that boat runs at around 25 MPH judging from the size of the spray droplets. That's not high, that's normal. 70 hp should be plenty for that hull with a couple of folks and gear. As Roscoe mentioned do you have power trim. Note the angle of the engine vs hull in the picture. Are you setup like that or lower unit tucked in closer to the transom?

smoker craft 162 mag
This is more like 35 MPH. Note length of wetted area and engine trim position. This boat is built for big water and that means high sides and deep v, high bow and the stern rides deep in the water.

Otherwise, it would ride like my Crestliner 1750 with "reverse chines" providing stern lift...but bow is still high and note out of the water....this is probably a 35+ MPH picture also:
crestliner fish hawk 1750
How is your engine running. What are your RPMs at what speed? How's your compression?
I'm trimmed all the way in to get my bow about like in that first picture. Maybe a little higher.

I put a prop on that popped it out of the water faster at the sacrifice of speed. I can easily over rev. I did this as a result of a low end bog which I believe has been resolved.

Most of what I do is 20mph or less. Will those smart trim plates help keep the stern up at lower speeds?

mr 88

Commander
Your prop should be matched to your max rated RPMs . Your either going to lug it to death or over rev it and watch it blow. Maybe, your first prop has a spun hub ? Have you verified that ? Can you talk to the PO and ask him what he was getting speed wise ?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Your hull should weigh 940#.
Motor 237#
plus battery, fuel, gear, trailer.