87 johnson 30 throttle help

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hey All,

I have a 1987 Johnson 30 horse on a 16 ft. Lund. The throttle cable that runs from a standard omc (red plug) side mount control box is popping off back at the motor. The engine has a small block on the port side off the engine that supports the adjusting block of the cable and then a plastic piece pops over a small peg that comes up from the motor. There is no clip or anything to hold it down. I've looked at the parts breakdown and other engines and this seems to be how they are. Anyone have a better way of keeping that piece from coming off on its own?

Let me know,
Matt

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hey All,

I have a 1987 Johnson 30 horse on a 16 ft. Lund. The throttle cable that runs from a standard omc (red plug) side mount control box is popping off back at the motor. The engine has a small block on the port side off the engine that supports the adjusting block of the cable and then a plastic piece pops over a small peg that comes up from the motor. There is no clip or anything to hold it down. I've looked at the parts breakdown and other engines and this seems to be how they are. Anyone have a better way of keeping that piece from coming off on its own?

Let me know,
Matt
Correction. its an 1985. Part number 83 on the parts breakdown.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a wee clip #310729 available that holds the cable onto part #83.-----Look for it in ---accessories.----That clip was available / used on many motors in the 1970's

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
There is a wee clip #310729 available that holds the cable onto part #83.-----Look for it in ---accessories.----That clip was available / used on many motors in the 1970's
Little confused now but I knew there must be something. Oldboat shows this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264265405799?epid=2030082221&hash=item3d87721567:g:rSEAAOSwal5YDmHU

You show this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2243387466...oM1mwu0KviOa4dy_88e3_W5L9pcNfm9RoCE58QAvD_BwE

and under the parts breakdown of an 1985 30 hp under accessories I find this one. They call it a "Detent spring" if I'm looking at it correctly.

Have any idea which one it is?

By the way thanks guys at least I'm on to something.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The first one is an old style, as pointed out. It is usable with the adjustable cables, however. Cable is placed vertically with the clip behind the adjustment wheel, then rotated in place with cable in the hooks. The clamp typically attaches to the pan of the motor.

Second one is an old style clamp that holds cable ends in place over throttle or shift connector stub. That is not what you describe on my reading of your post.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
The first one is an old style, as pointed out. It is usable with the adjustable cables, however. Cable is placed vertically with the clip behind the adjustment wheel, then rotated in place with cable in the hooks. The clamp typically attaches to the pan of the motor.

Second one is an old style clamp that holds cable ends in place over throttle or shift connector stub. That is not what you describe on my reading of your post.
Okay, now I'm even more confused. I looked online and can't find a picture and my boat is up at a summer place I own. I'll take pictures when I go up next but again at the very tip of the throttle cable (from a remote box) there is a hole and I just put it over the peg that comes up from the timing/idle control (part 83) then the adjustment knob fits in a spot with a retainer. Throttle end pops off peg.

The first one with the screw seems the best but sounds like that one doesn't go there by your descriptions.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Matt

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
See post #4
Wee clip did the job thanks....to bad they don't show that more clearly on the breakdown.

Another question for you. My 1987 Evinrude 8hp (e8rcud) is having some issues. That model is the one with a primer not a choke. Starts fine with one pull on the primer, idles good, rips around at high speed but when I start to slow down it bogs out and then dies and wont restart. When I pull the plugs they are all wet (flooding condition).

Compression is around 120 lbs +/- a pound or two, both coils jump a 1/2 inch when I check for spark, water telltale pees strong.

Only thing I can think of is float sticking or something...but only on the high end?

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a new thread....

(glad you got the clip issue resolved)