Really stiff steering 2021 300 Mercury Pro Xs

bige1972

Recruit
just purchased this motor and steering is really stiff, Mercury says it has hydraulic steering but Power is an option, do I really have to buy something to correct this issue?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Post some info about the boat itself and the steering system.
It sounds like you bought a new motor for an existing boat. The problem may not be the motor. Its Most likely something in the steering.

When my steering got so stiff that I needed two hands to turn it, I found it was the cable from the helm to the power steering ram at the engine. I changed the cable, now I can turn it with one finger.
I tried everything, grease, etc. Then I disconnected the cable from the power steering ram and the steering was still super stiff. New cable and what a difference!

bige1972

Recruit
Post some info about the boat itself and the steering system.
It sounds like you bought a new motor for an existing boat. The problem may not be the motor. Its Most likely something in the steering.

When my steering got so stiff that I needed two hands to turn it, I found it was the cable from the helm to the power steering ram at the engine. I changed the cable, now I can turn it with one finger.
I tried everything, grease, etc. Then I disconnected the cable from the power steering ram and the steering was still super stiff. New cable and what a difference!
the boat is brand new including the hull but I will recommend what you said to the dealer thanks.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
the boat is brand new including the hull but I will recommend what you said to the dealer thanks.
If everything, boat and motor are new, it's time to approach the dealer. That is unacceptable. It's their problem. Don't attempt to repair anything. Let them explain why their new boat is not functioning properly.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Why isn't your brand new unusable boat not sitting at the dealer? Don't recommend anything - Tell them to fix it!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
just purchased this motor and steering is really stiff, Mercury says it has hydraulic steering but Power is an option,
What do you mean by "stiff"?

Turning a 300 HP outboard isn't going to be effort free w/o power steering.

Running the motor out of trim or a mis-adjusted torque tab will exasperate the problem

Last edited: