T&T leakdown tests

The Force power

Commander
Read your post u sent to mods.....used the link in post#3....it works that way ....

soon our trouble will be over;

The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 10/7/2020! The whole transition should take 30-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you.

But what will I do for those 36 hrs.:confused::noidea::clock:

topgun3690

Ensign
soon our trouble will be over;

The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 10/7/2020! The whole transition should take 30-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you.

But what will I do for those 36 hrs.:confused::noidea::clock:

It will be tough, but I think we will get through it!:frusty:

Nordin

Commander
Maintain your Chrysler or Force OB and if you already done it, just sit down and look at it.
I have a couple of Chryslers, actually to many that need restoration.
I will get through it.

topgun3690

Ensign
Maintain your Chrysler or Force OB and if you already done it, just sit down and look at it.
I have a couple of Chryslers, actually to many that need restoration.
I will get through it.

Am thinking I might polish my prop! Put a shine on it! Lol :bounce:

topgun3690

Ensign
It seems I spoke too soon about fixing my leak down problem. (n) After installing the new(rebuilt) VB it initially looked like it was fixed. But now it is coming down, although slower than before, and stops about a third of the way down, then stays pretty much there. Could probably live with that but it aint right so I will be tearing into it again. So far I have rebuilt the tilt cylinder, and replaced the VB. The trim cylinder has never been messed with so I will be dealing with that this week. Read a LOT of posts about the bolts snapping off and having to drill them out but it needs to be done. I have the o-rings already and ordered new bolts for it. Frank A.(RIP) said to never reuse the old bolts as they are stressed and could fail if reused. When I removed the old VB there was a thick, black, snotty looking film on top of it. Since the trim cylinder is the lowest part of the system I am thinking it may have this crap in it too, which could fowl the o-rings causing it to not seal properly? IDK One good thing is that my boat has never been in salt water which improves the chances of getting the 5 bolts out without damaging the trim housing. And if I do bugger it up badly there are some replacements available on ebay.

Happy Columbus Day!

topgun3690

Ensign
I have not done the LD tests since I replaced the VB. Good idea, will do that before tearing into the trim cylinder. The first time I did the tests it seemed like no matter what I did it leaked down so couldn't tell which component was bad. With the new VB maybe I will get better results.

topgun3690

Ensign
Yesterday did the LD test for tilt cylinder and it seemed ok. With the new VB the only thing left was the trim cylinder which has never been cracked open since new. Had sprayed PB blaster on the bolts last week and with a 1/4 inch 12 point socket they all came out fairly easy without snapping off. The o-rings didn't look too bad really but replaced them all. The cylinder was like new with no scoring or pitting. There was a spot of corrosion on the back side of the piston about the size of a quarter and some fine particles floating around in the oil. How does something rust when bathed in oil? IDK Chased the bolt holes with a 1/4-20 tap and will install new bolts when they get here. Since there was contamination in the trim, decided to take everything off, including the VB and tilt cylinder and all the lines. Blew out the lines with compressed air and rebuilt the tilt cylinder again since I had it open for cleaning. Put everything back together and mounted on the boat. The trim bolts are just finger tight and will replace them one at a time when the new ones get here. Then add oil and bleed the system and see what we got. IMG_1202.JPG

topgun3690

Ensign
Never really noticed it before, but after taking the trim cylinder apart I realized it is shaped just like the Chrysler Pentastar logo! LOL. Just a little Chrysler outboard trivia......pentastar-report.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your one of the lucky ones!!
That trim cyl. is almost NEVER taken
apart without something breaking!!!!
One rust spot: if there was moisture
trapped in there?? it can rust and corrode
the one spot.

The Force power

Commander
The trim bolts are just finger tight and will replace them one at a time when the new ones get here. View attachment 327299
Your are replacing the bolts? they don't look that bad?
A quick clean on the wire-wheel and a dab of anti-seize on the treads would suffice no??
I mean...the torque value is very low

topgun3690

Ensign
Your one of the lucky ones!!
That trim cyl. is almost NEVER taken
apart without something breaking!!!!
One rust spot: if there was moisture
trapped in there?? it can rust and corrode
the one spot.
I really do feel lucky. After reading all the posts about the bolts snapping off and having to drill them out I was kinda worried about that. The one rust spot.....didn't see any signs of water or moisture in there when I opened it. Could have been like that for many years. Who knows.

topgun3690

Ensign
The trim bolts are just finger tight and will replace them one at a time when the new ones get here. View attachment 327299
Your are replacing the bolts? they don't look that bad?
A quick clean on the wire-wheel and a dab of anti-seize on the treads would suffice no??
I mean...the torque value is very low
I agree with you, the bolts don't look bad at all. And the torque value is only 95 inch lbs or 7.91 ft lbs according to my Chrysler manual. There are 2 reasons I ordered new bolts....the first is I figured some of them would break or get damaged taking them out. Second, I read a LOT of old posts about this and the late Frank Acampora (RIP) said in several threads to NEVER reuse the old bolts. He emphasized the NEVER several times. Lol. According to Frank these bolts are constantly subjected to the full weight and thrust of the motor and over time become stressed, with some actually breaking while under load. He said this was especially true for larger motors (100 HP and up) and when doing a lot of WOT or skiing, etc. My 85 HP, yeah I could probably use them again with no problems....but if they ever did break while out on the water I would be kicking myself in the A$$ for not replacing them when I had the chance! Lol. Found some NOS bolts on ebay and ordered them and will put them in for peace of mind if nothing else. It's only money! Lol. s-l140.jpg

The Force power

Commander
I agree with you, the bolts don't look bad at all. And the torque value is only 95 inch lbs or 7.91 ft lbs according to my Chrysler manual. There are 2 reasons I ordered new bolts....the first is I figured some of them would break or get damaged taking them out. Second, I read a LOT of old posts about this and the late Frank Acampora (RIP) said in several threads to NEVER reuse the old bolts. He emphasized the NEVER several times. Lol. According to Frank these bolts are constantly subjected to the full weight and thrust of the motor and over time become stressed, with some actually breaking while under load. He said this was especially true for larger motors (100 HP and up) and when doing a lot of WOT or skiing, etc. My 85 HP, yeah I could probably use them again with no problems....but if they ever did break while out on the water I would be kicking myself in the A$$ for not replacing them when I had the chance! Lol. Found some NOS bolts on ebay and ordered them and will put them in for peace of mind if nothing else. It's only money! Lol. View attachment 327347
Yeah..better save than sorry, especially if the experts have warned us
Good call!!

topgun3690

Ensign
" and a dab of anti-seize on the treads would suffice no??" I will be doing that for sure. (y)

topgun3690

Ensign
The new bolts arrived today and will be installing them maybe tomorrow. Had considered just buying some from the hardware store that would fit, but would they be of the same strength as the originals? No way to know for sure so spent a little more and got the ones designed for this application. The originals lasted 42 years with no problems so you can't go wrong with that. IMG_1205.JPG

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The old would have been good.
The torques used in outboards is usually minimal and the
screws haven't been streched or twisted.
The only time I buy new is when the heads are rusted off.

topgun3690

Ensign
The old would have been good.
The torques used in outboards is usually minimal and the
screws haven't been streched or twisted.
The only time I buy new is when the heads are rusted off.
Gonna install the new ones and hopefully never have to mess with it again. (y)