Gel Coat application

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gel Coat application

if your worried about it being straight, just make sure you sand it with blocks, the longer the better. a couple coats of primer blocked down will do wonders to straighten stuff out. and since you will be saving so much money by painting it, get some good paint and it will be as durable as gelcoat, maybe more so..

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, I thought we were talking about a smaller size fiberglass boat.<br /> That's what I am working on.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

TG<br /><br />If you use brownies and TheScrumbler's methods, I think it will work out well for you, it sounds like they have both have done it many times. Try and post some pics of it before and after for us to see.<br /><br />Now it's time to pick a color scheme.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

brownies<br /><br />About ten years ago I lived in Ft Smith for a short time, I did tech service work for Neste, a large gel coat manufacturer located there. I worked with all the bass boat companies in that area, Champion, Tracker, Bass Cat, Viper, Ranger, I did some work at Skeeter, Kenner and Blue Wave too.<br /><br />I didn't get to fish much, but I did get to Truman and Table rock a few times, didn't get to any of the rivers though.

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

DSC00001.JPG

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Due to the fact that the boat is only 17 feet there are very few areas where i can use a "longboard". How ever i may be able to modify a 8-10 inch board and i really dont think there are many surface area's that i will be able to use it (lots of suttle curves) it will be all eyeball and hands on feel.<br /><br />As to color it's either a cream on blue or dark blue and bright white. I'd really like to tackle it now but i do not have access to a heated garage and the elements here are 40 degree's and high humidity.......... :( (Interlux perfection or Brightside's ) <br /><br /> I'm sure ill be able to start in about a month or so and when that happens and completion is final i will post the restoration. It has become a pretty big project as far a time is concerned however with the help of this forum and google the process is realatively simple.<br /><br /> :eek: However with that said i have discovered a small yet big flaw,..........@ the back of the boat near the transom on the bottom i have discovered they Starcraft molded a lip or ridge that create's "Lift" < :confused: that protude's down. Now i was wondering why this boat porpise's so much and now i know............ And i do not want to know how to cure this........that's another day and another thread... ;)

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

DSC00007.JPG
<br />The white hull was 1st sanded with a "block" like the one in the photo (only power) with 80grit. Boat was then primered with a dark colored primer. It was again "blocked" with 80grit using the block shown.<br /> It was then primered with yellow colored (what you see). Blocked again with 220grit. <br /> Note the dark spot. That is a high spot. Just high enough that the block sanding "found" the dark primer underneath. Not high enough to get into the white hull though. <br /> The next coat of primer will take care of that.<br /><br />
DSC00003.JPG
<br />This is higher spot, into the white hull. More attention will be spent here so that hopefully the next coat of primer will take care if it as well. BOTH of those high places are from supports inside of the hull. If you looked inside of the hull where this high spot is, you would find the edge of a compartment box.<br /><br />
DSC00008.JPG
<br />nice seat huh??<br /><br />
DSC00004.JPG
<br />Note the "haze" of darker color on the yellow primer. That's the guide coat...the back of the boat still needs to be sanded with that block. You are trying to sand the light haze guide coat off, but, you must use that "block" to do it.<br /><br />
DSC00012.JPG
<br />Top cap, another pretty sight...lol.<br /><br />
DSC00002.JPG
<br /><br /> I don't make the paint, gelcoat, or fiberglass. I don't know the technical aspects of warpage are in hot sun or freezing rain.<br /> Do I need to put some things on hold and go back to skool?

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Longboard can be used almost anywhere if convex surface. Just takes practice. Go with the flow, just don't "dig".

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

OR....<br />Here is another method.<br />Use a DA sander and 360 grit. Change paper OFTEN and keep the DA moving (like a power buffer so you don't dig holes).<br /> Just smooth it all out and paint it.<br />YELLOW, WHITE, LIGHT BLUE...lighter color. Should be fine. <br /> After all........."ONLY THE BEST" isn't always the best......

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

No, not back to school, but like the high spots you found, the hull will continue to change shape. Any bulkhead, compartment, fitting, stringer or support may change the surface profile over time. Trailer rollers and bunks can do the same thing if not adjusted correctly.<br /><br />TG<br /> don't sand off the lip you found on the hull, they put it here to keep the bow down and improve the ride, it will most likely be worse without it.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes perhaps, but it is very annoying it literally slams the boat (bow) into a wave if there is any chop. Almost impossible to get on top of 1-2 foot swells and ride on them or over them. If you trim up and down @ wot on a level water the bow wont porpise but i have never been in a boat that will plow as much water and i have been on a few of them........... maybe thats a overstatement i just hate the way it drops the bow in a medium chop. As to sanding it off........ from what i have seen that would be impossible just eyeballing it, looks like its 1/2 to 3/4 inch in drop............. Way off topic here, i'am going to take some pics and start a new thread later.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That lip sounds big, on the next thread maybe somebody knows if it supposed to be that big, or if it may have been warped during production or from the trailer.