1975 Johnson 15hp

Creedxs

Cadet
My 75 Johnson 15hp i noticed that it has an awful lot of slack between the motor and the transom mount i know it will have some slack but im pretty sure it's not supposed to be as bad as it is. My question is is there a way to tighten it to remove the slack? I don't know the actual names of the parts im talking about but its between just under the motor and where the transom clamps are where it turns the motor. If that makes any sense and anyone has advice i would appreciate it

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
My 75 Johnson 15hp i noticed that it has an awful lot of slack between the motor and the transom mount i know it will have some slack but im pretty sure it's not supposed to be as bad as it is. My question is is there a way to tighten it to remove the slack? I don't know the actual names of the parts im talking about but its between just under the motor and where the transom clamps are where it turns the motor. If that makes any sense and anyone has advice i would appreciate it

Do you mean it swivels too easily or do you mean it wobbles about ?

If the former then there is a friction adjust screw.... your owners manual will tell you where to find it but it is #85, about 1/3 the way up on the extreme right hand side of the parts diagram at http://www.iboatsimages.com/mall/image/view/1/5/265649_12_0.gif

If it wobbles about then I guess the bushes in the mounting are worn

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the upper mounts inside the exhaust housing are done.-----Just did a couple of those mounts on an 89 model.----Big job to replace them and they are proud of those mounts.----Powerhead needs to come off.

kbait

Commander
I’ve used a strategically placed bungee cord (black rubber) around the exhaust housing, just below lower cowl to pull it forward to steering bracket - works long term. Just need to position bungee to clear shift/throttle linkage and stretch it TIGHT. Some customers like the $10 fix vs hundreds for new mounts +labor..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bought about 10 of these 9.9 / 15 HP models in various stages of disrepair one time.---For parts.-----Knowing that at least a few of these mounts would be good !