Force 70 Slipping in Forward

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Had this out recently and it seemed to slip in and out of gear, then later seemed to stop doing this. I pulled prop shaft and reverse gear. The clutch dog edges are a bit rounded, as is gear mating surface. How much is too worn?

Thanks

The Force power

Commander
Had this out recently and it seemed to slip in and out of gear, then later seemed to stop doing this. I pulled prop shaft and reverse gear. The clutch dog edges are a bit rounded, as is gear mating surface. How much is too worn?

Thanks

Check for slack in the control-cables & check adjustment for adjustment needed in gear

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Pic of the dog/gear?
Slight wear is normal, usually from incorrect shifting/ slow shifting, rpm's too high?
Make sure the cables are adjusted and moving the linkage the correct amount of travel.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
How do I find true neutral on the shift linkage under the hood? I have marked neutral on shift rod.

i have even “biased” the shift cable adjustment to max travel on the linkage under the cowl.

i am wondering if the wear is not concerning as it appears heavy on the reverse gear and rev side of dog clutch and lighter or drive side (drive gear is the gear deep in the gearcase right?)

The Force power

Commander
How do I find true neutral on the shift linkage under the hood? I have marked neutral on shift rod.

i have even “biased” the shift cable adjustment to max travel on the linkage under the cowl.

i am wondering if the wear is not concerning as it appears heavy on the reverse gear and rev side of dog clutch and lighter or drive side (drive gear is the gear deep in the gearcase right?)

The shift-rod in the lower-unit needs to be set right (in most case four turns out) then if necessary the upper shift-rod can be adjusted likely not necessary. Wash your mouth out with soap!

You may have to adjust the lever that pushes in the neutral-switch after you made your adjustments

Biggest mistake to make is; to try to adjust your motor to the controls! Correct set up under Cowl first & adjust your controls accordingly

Last edited by a moderator:

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. No didnt adjust to controls, went rod up. So shift rod afjuster 4 turns out, then place in the muddle of its travel and then connect up to linkage, thus defining neutral?

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
I guess my question is the adjuster position at top of shift rod

The Force power

Commander
I guess my question is the adjuster position at top of shift rod

The top part of the shift-shaft (behind the air inlet/below carbs.) can be adjusted so it sits flush(same height) with the timing-arm stop (it's hard to reach in & adjust.)

Once that is all set-up, you may have to adjust the switch-actuator so that it's nicely in the center of push-button

Then hook up your controls any additional adjustments necessary? ARE made on the control-cables/links on either or both sides of the cables

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
To find N
You'll need to spin the prop while adjusting.
Motor down, shift lever into F as you spin prop.
Then back to R as you spin the prop.
Then shift into N as you spin the prop.
Then you adjust the rest of the linkage to that setting.

Some cases require the top of the shift rod, interlock lever to be moved.
That job is easier if the plenum is removed(4 screws,5/16 socket)
Then a 1/2" box end wrench is used to undo.
The nuts are LOCK nuts and hard to turn.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
But how do i know where the coupler should be before reconnecting it at the mid leg of engine? I know where neutral is on gearcase. Do i move shift lever underhood to middle of its travel and then thread on coupler?

thanks

The Force power

Commander
But how do i know where the coupler should be before reconnecting it at the mid leg of engine? I know where neutral is on gearcase. Do i move shift lever underhood to middle of its travel and then thread on coupler?

thanks

What do you mean? with coupler"

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I think the coupler is the connector on the end of the cable????
Start procedure in N motor off.
Unhook the connector.
Spin prop with your foot.
Shift by hand from N to F then into R then back to N
Then adjust the coupler/connector to the stud on the motor.
IF?? the linkage is setup right?? this should make it work.
You might have to reposition the N safety switch after the procedure.

The throttle connector, it should be installed with a little tension on the cable.

The Force power

Commander
Sounds like he's referring to two kinds of couplings;
first one- at the gear shift rod?
second one- at cable-end connector?

I just realized that this is a 70 hp and not 90 hp & been giving the wrong advise :facepalm:

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
End of shift rod only. This one i mean. Thanks

Attachments

• A1A0B59A-58E9-4EF5-A2AF-F093B41F54BB.jpeg
    A1A0B59A-58E9-4EF5-A2AF-F093B41F54BB.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 0

The Force power

Commander
I have no experience with that particular motor set-up.
but Jerrys post #10 first paragraph & post# 13 should clear this up

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
So jerry if i mark middle of travel on rod at lower unit, as long as the shift lever under cowl is about in middle of its travel thats considered adjusted ok??