To Build a Boat (any boat)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

lol CK... I'm not sure how I've done it without templates... I'm sure it has something to do with measuring on my stock... instaed of template stock :D <br /><br />Somehow, someway, it happened.... 6 down transom to go... I do need to pick up some more wood for that... Man I hate it when you run outta wood just when it's getting fun :D <br /><br />
2134.jpg
<br /><br />EDIT: I will be using controls. The motor is already set up for them, I have the controls here at home.. just not the motor..lol No I didn't go up there to pick it up... and forgot the motor and came back with just the controls...lol I had to get them seperate... :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

for anyone bored... i've hung up some wallpaper in the chatroom to give it that home away from home feel :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

no.. no templates... I decided I would'nt waste any time... I know I took a brave move.. But I think it has saved some time if anything :D <br /><br />Besides If I spent the time to make 6 templates... I could have had 6 frames cut.. Oh wait I do...lol

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that's looking good Dave.<br /><br />You could make a few of them, now that you've made the templates for the frames..... :p

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dave what are you using to glue those together?<br />and how thick is your ply for the butt joints?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Tracker... I got the reply, Just let me know when your going up there and you can pick it up. He's got an appointment on the 14th.... Email me at djzyla05 @ aol.com (no spaces of course)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yea let me know so I can bill dave for the 9.99 finders fee :D <br /><br />cpj hows the new improved lightweight yak comin along?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well I picked up the lil merc. I've decided on closer inspection that if I replace everything below the engine and everything above the lower unit, I should have a pretty good lil engine. :D <br /><br />hey Eric, your my new best friend :D :D :D :D <br /><br />my 2 minute inspection shows I'll need a lower unit, an upper cowling, shift handle work, spark plug wires, impeller for gp, and the list will continue on closer inspection i'm sure.

cpj

Ensign

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> yea let me know so I can bill dave for the 9.99 finders fee :D <br /><br />cpj hows the new improved lightweight yak comin along?
not much else done, I did update my post though.this is pretty much a chance at a free post.gotta hit 1000 with tbab.I do have to study for a big arse test, so that is gonna cut in to the man cave time.But if I pass its worth a 2000 $ bonus and a 5% raise.So bad as I hate to, I gotta start studying.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Glue?... I didn't know I should use glue on templates.... mlm :p <br /><br />Dink.. I'm using Elmers waterproof glue as the plans state... We'll have to see how it holds up..lol

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I guess I should add the ply is 3/8 glued and screwed

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i like titebond III and gorilla glue, btw i got to use drywall tape on the mini max today

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

time to turn the page and it might as well be me :D <br /><br />isnt it gorilla glue that warns on the label not to use in places that will be around water a lot?<br /><br />Or is it the new elmers stuff.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Dave, that boat pic I posted was the boat I just sold. blew the motor to hell on her.<br /><br />I was actually going to cut a piece of wood today. 40's and raining and hailing isnt my favorite weather to be working in the garage.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

ah... ok pop-up pony... Thought I was loosing my mind on that one everytime I saw the pic load<br /><br />Just what we need... more boats with drywall tape...

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hey eric were you serious about helping me find some parts? if so :D I need lots of them<br />This motor is in need of a ground up rebuild.<br /><br />I think its the product of someone who didnt know what they were doing. <br /><br />Its a 74-76 merc 7.5 hp<br /><br />It looks like he busted out the prop housing trying to do something or another... the gears feel alright but i'll need to take it apart to know for sure. It seems to shift but the shift shaft on the back is bent and kinda floppy so i'm sure that will need to be fixed up. <br /><br />Its missing the prop nut and whatever else holds it in place, the spark plug wires the long one is missing and the short one isnt long enough for the top cylinder, missing the cowling, the throttle handle on the tiller is broken but posibbly repairable and nut missing, the throttle shaft inside seems to be stuck as it only moves just slightly, the rope starter assy will need to be taken apart and cleaned. Amazing that the inside is all pretty clean considering who knows how long it sat outside uncovered??? maybe it was covered??? <br /><br />If you have any of the following parts available would you tally up an amount of what you would want? (Iboats wont have a lot of this, not trying to create a conflict of interest mods)<br />I need,<br />A lower unit<br />Throttle handle<br />Upper cowl<br />2 spark plug wires<br />prop nut and whatever else there is for it<br /><br />and thats just for starters.<br /><br />I'll check iboats for the plug wires, carb kit,<br />and the other possibles i come across soon.<br /><br />Oh and i'll be looking for a shop manual on this one.<br /><br />Like I said, If I replace everything below the motor and everything above the bottom end, I should have a decent motor. :D <br /><br />Eric what other cowls will fit this motor?<br /><br />Thanks <br /><br />p.s. its good to have a merc fanatic on hand in TBAB. Its like having your very own celebrity to show off. :D

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mebbe you could fabricate a cowl "bonnet" out if luan