1965 Starcraft Dart restomod

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone, figured I may get more input here since it’s specifically for Starcrafts. But I recently got myself a Dart. Paid $300 for the boat and trailer, for that price I really couldn’t pass it up. So here it is

First thing that had to happen was getting rid of the rotten seats and clean the pine needles out.

What’s do you guys think about putting a fresh piece of aluminum on the outside of the transom? The prior owner had put quite a few different holes that I’d like to address with possibly a new piece.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard and to the Starmada!

Nice little tinny, good to see another one saved from languishing :thumb:

I've repaired many holes in my boats without replacing or scabbing on another AL transom skin.

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
:welcome: aboard and to the Starmada!

Nice little tinny, good to see another one saved from languishing :thumb:

I've repaired many holes in my boats without replacing or scabbing on another AL transom skin.

I was considering brazing them(no welder for aluminum yet, gotta sell another project to fund it.) but then I was thinking about using diamond plate. I’m a firefighter and planned to do a red and white paint scheme on the hull long before it clicked that it’d look like a fire truck.

Watermann

Yeah the normal areas that have holes are where depth finder transducers were mounted, speedo pitot and the likes. On my Chief I just plated over the mess of holes after filling them with JB Water Weld. The plates were just larger than the perforated area and back buttered with 5200. Then I mounted the new stuff on the plates to include trim tabs too.

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah the normal areas that have holes are where depth finder transducers were mounted, speedo pitot and the likes. On my Chief I just plated over the mess of holes after filling them with JB Water Weld. The plates were just larger than the perforated area and back buttered with 5200. Then I mounted the new stuff on the plates to include trim tabs too.

That’s basically my thoughts. I’m think about a quarter inch shy of full size and it should be good.

Watermann

Looks like.

y4mL1rmlk4ksdPxu0plPjwf-G6AkNxU2TUSQUmS5_q8_G851HFxn7oKY0jrhYl_jLAiFJpDtORTYWzXP5cIufnViaD3G19JfgGG1vKnSW_Jowb_zsJZl7cQEDAZD2vxYVa0mjEwmWUipSXcrX-X1wAsNMOVkHiAsQiE4L7hujrjaFul5Hd8NTOn898fxh_Cg5LlX-hiVQSwDRTngXRCAlZvXw

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Very nice! I don’t think I could do polished aluminum, I love the look, but polishing it drives me mad haha

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Really? Looks like polished aluminum on my phone. That’s slick haha

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The hull is painted in that image, the bottom looks like polished aluminum.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That’s pretty awesome! Haven’t seen aluminum looking paint before

WM will have to clear that up, I know the sides of that boat are painted, but it looks like polished aluminum on the bottom, which I know quite a few people that do that.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope, WM painted the hull bottom w silver paint, dont remember the brand or paint name....

Watermann

Nope, WM painted the hull bottom w silver paint, dont remember the brand or paint name....

Yeah the bottom is painted using Van Sickle alkyd enamel with catalyst hardener. That was fresh paint after pulling the tape. It has dulled some since then but held up really well, looks like bare AL now like my SS that I didn't paint.

That main reason for the pic was to show the AL plates over the bad spots on the transom.

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah the bottom is painted using Van Sickle alkyd enamel with catalyst hardener. That was fresh paint after pulling the tape. It has dulled some since then but held up really well, looks like bare AL now like my SS that I didn't paint.

That main reason for the pic was to show the AL plates over the bad spots on the transom.

I could barely make those out in the picture. I think I’m going to do a full sheet though. We’ll see how much it costs. Gotta take my transom the was made by 2x lumber out and get the extra plywood off the outside, than build a new transom and get it ready

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Question for everyone, I was just informed by my wife that my father in law thinks the engine that I’m putting on this is going to be too much, but per Starcraft’s adds from back when it was made it states it’ll take up to a 50hp. I’m using a 45hp Tohatsu 2 stroke. I don’t see it being any issue other than not needing to go fill throttle for good speeds.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello! I love the Dart. I also have one but it's been gutted and modded to be a tiller fishing rig. I have a 2008 Suzuki 4stroke 25hp on the transom and a Minn Kota power drive on the bow. I'm not sure what the tohatsu weighs but the Suzuki I've got is getting a little close to the max weight I'm sure. It sits pretty low in the water. I have had water come over the transom when trying to launch in rough conditions. But I'd like to see what the 45hp 2stroke can do! That transom with the triple braces is a monster! Welcome to the group

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Hello! I love the Dart. I also have one but it's been gutted and modded to be a tiller fishing rig. I have a 2008 Suzuki 4stroke 25hp on the transom and a Minn Kota power drive on the bow. I'm not sure what the tohatsu weighs but the Suzuki I've got is getting a little close to the max weight I'm sure. It sits pretty low in the water. I have had water come over the transom when trying to launch in rough conditions. But I'd like to see what the 45hp 2stroke can do! That transom with the triple braces is a monster! Welcome to the group

This ones a 90s or older, not too heavy that I can’t move it alone, but heavy enough I don’t want to do it more than once! It’s on there right now but I’ve gotta figure out the steering.