1965 Starcraft Dart restomod

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm a max HP kind of guy who shy's away from OB motor over-powering, that 45 HP motor will do just fine on your Dart, in fact I bet it will be the perfect motor for you.

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
I'm a max HP kind of guy who shy's away from OB motor over-powering, that 45 HP motor will do just fine on your Dart, in fact I bet it will be the perfect motor for you.

I love it so far. I bought it on my old boat not running, put a new carb on it and it fired right up. Hasn’t had any issues so far!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Then it will be just right, that 40 hp is likely prop rated, the SC spec powerhead rated. A 50 PH rated will be something close to 40 ish prop rated.

Just take it easy the 1st time you try it.

Dan

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Then it will be just right, that 40 hp is likely prop rated, the SC spec powerhead rated. A 50 PH rated will be something close to 40 ish prop rated.

Just take it easy the 1st time you try it.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I planned to be super easy the first few trips then see what it can do.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Growing up, we had a Lund 14' fishing boat, dad had a 18 OMC on it, I wanted to water ski so I bought a mate to it and rigged up a linkage to control both motors from just the left one.
35 hp on a 35 or 40 hp rated boat.
It didn't go all that fast, but with a "power" prop on each motor, you either needed weight up front or be vary careful increasing speed, as it felt like it was going to flip over on you.
We spent a lot time skiing in that thing when we were kids.

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Not much has happened with the boat lately. Got my motor and controls transferred over but the steering is killing me. The wife and I would like to get it out at least once before it gets too cold. Anyone got any tips for the steering? Here’s a couple pictures of what I’m working with. My old boat was a cable steering set up which I could easily figure out. This I don’t get even slightly.

Watermann

Not much has happened with the boat lately. Got my motor and controls transferred over but the steering is killing me. The wife and I would like to get it out at least once before it gets too cold. Anyone got any tips for the steering? Here’s a couple pictures of what I’m working with. My old boat was a cable steering set up which I could easily figure out. This I don’t get even slightly.

Take the steering cable apart by unscrewing the large nut on the end of the cable removing that old rusty metal tube, then run the steering ram through the tilt tube on the motor and screw it on the motor tilt tube. You'll need the steering arm then to connect to the motor from the ram. Looks like this...

y4mURNpkJLK4MIoyOHWPuldSHlXWmeVmfujM8FbZyoSqGqEYfJ3YdRPocb_jYnIWzabTD8KxvRVdzCiQ_VhZYwYRTf4QUFAy5d5QHmaQWdu5Z3FKsqd550Cr2g9AMhrDqvSJ18tdODP0g6DOsqCawnqvU4RKnJZU4MB9Uya94q8jpfWGYcGPrctyQ8X6KnkoLXk6IbGEmtobBj1JTSgk9ThNg

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Take the steering cable apart by unscrewing the large nut on the end of the cable removing that old rusty metal tube, then run the steering ram through the tilt tube on the motor and screw it on the motor tilt tube. You'll need the steering arm then to connect to the motor from the ram. Looks like this...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/rpijqg.bn.files.1drv.com\/y4mURNpkJLK4MIoyOHWPuldSHlXWmeVmfujM8FbZyoSqGqEYfJ3YdRPocb_jYnIWzabTD8KxvRVdzCiQ_VhZYwYRTf4QUFAy5d5QHmaQWdu5Z3FKsqd550Cr2g9AMhrDqvSJ18tdODP0g6DOsqCawnqvU4RKnJZU4MB9Uya94q8jpfWGYcGPrctyQ8X6KnkoLXk6IbGEmtobBj1JTSgk9ThNg?width=1024&height=577&cropmode=none"**[/IMG2]

Thank you! That makes so much more sense! Any tips on where to find the steering arm?

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Got it set up right now! Now I just need to get the steering arm for it! Not sure why I’m working on it currently, boating seasons pretty much done here. Joys of living in Maine. Hopefully this spring I’ll be building a garage to continue working on the boat and other projects/ business ventures!

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
Glad I could help. That's a good question on the arm, they aren't really 100% universal with how they attach to the motor but a guy can always make modifications. Take a look at the link, it has a part number that looks right. https://www.tohatsu.com/accessories/ctl_boxes.html

Thanks once again! They have the arm for my motor(M40C) might buy that and see what happens. Worst case I get creative.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks once again! They have the arm for my motor(M40C) might buy that and see what happens. Worst case I get creative.

With the correct arm, there should not be much need to be creative, the worst I have had to do most of the time is adjust the clamp point on the cable itself to get the proper throw on the arm.

BCaron94

Seaman Apprentice
With the correct arm, there should not be much need to be creative, the worst I have had to do most of the time is adjust the clamp point on the cable itself to get the proper throw on the arm.

Thanks for that! I’m more excited for this boat now. Now if I could just get a garage I’d be working on it over the winter.

Watermann

He took that rusty junk off the cable (see above) and when using the steering cable in the tilt tube there is no cable clamping adjustment.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
He took that rusty junk off the cable (see above) and when using the steering cable in the tilt tube there is no cable clamping adjustment.

WM, every single boat I have owned had a cable clamp system on it, that attached to the transom, The two I have that are not tiller steer right now have those clamps on them and one is a 67 and the starcraft is a 73, perhaps you are thinking of something different than what I am talking about?. When he posted his first message about steering, I told him exactly what he needed, which you followed up on.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
What I am talking about is circled in red in this image, like I said, perhaps you and I are talking about something different.

Attachments

• photo302853.jpg
    photo302853.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 6