Finally Started my Project Whaler

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Finally Started my Project Whaler

didn't get to spray gelcoat today.....it was supposed to be here on friday....checked UPS, it won't be here until Wedsnesday! :confused: <br /><br />So today, I fit the boat to the new trailer. I have to do some fiberglass work inside to mount the console so I'll do that this week, and spray the gel on Friday!

bubbakat

Captain

Kelton e-mail me about those little items we were discussing

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Well, I sprayed the gelcoat on Friday and have started the tedius task of wet sanding. I've put the details in my link below. There is an updated section starting March 9. Did I say my arms are killing me :D <br /><br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/whaler-restore.htm

bubbakat

Captain

Well well it is always good when a plan comes togeather. Glad it is working out. I still say I am going to keep an eye out for me a whaler like that.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Sounds fun Kelton. I didn't want you to suffer alone, so I am wet sanding my gel to get a shine back. It is working, but like you said, it is tedious and mind-numbing. I also am using 320 wet, 600 wet. The only thing I am doing different is using #0000 steel wool after the wet sanding, then polishing compound, and waxing. It is working well. I tried the steel wool because it worked well for polishing my aluminum mountain bike frame. Otherwise the 1200 wet would be happening.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Thanks for hangin' with me Jason :D <br /><br />I just finished the first pass with 320....I will start the 600 tomorrow. After the 600, I will hit it with 1200, then machine polish it out, then wax....then it is time to put back on the trailer and spray the ultratuff on the interior.....man I wish this project was over with :D <br /><br />Bubba,,,,,you would love a 13' whaler.....they are great boats!

bubbakat

Captain

Way to go kelton that trailer looks good and the boat looks outstanding

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I can say is PLEASE DO MINE TOO!!!

like new????<br /><br />BETTER THAN NEW!<br /><br />Great job there KK, proof positive that the world needs more masochists!!!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />If you want to practice on aluminum, I have this Lone Star Im workin on ....

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

KK, awesome job you've done so far! You should be proud the day you get her on the water. :cool:

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Thanks guys.....I'm shooting for mid April. I will hopefully start building the mahogany console this week. I have a fishing trip planned for April 23, so it has to be ready by then....Luckilly most of the hard work is done.<br /><br />Here is a link to some more updated pics with the rubber coating as well.<br /><br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/whaler-restore.htm

bubbakat

Captain

Man kelton you had better hide that set up. Every time I look at it I want one even more. I might just slip into texas and boat jack you. :D :D

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

dang...you already got my power tilt/trim, now you want that old boat! what gives :D

bubbakat

Captain

One piece at a time brother one piece at a time :D :D

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no fair bubbakat, you cant be the boat jacker, I'm the boat jacker, see my sig. hehehehe

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

you'll know it's me when I come through your town :D