Boat restoration tips

boaterntexas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmm.. Just boat a new ( well new to me) boat, was wondering if any one had any restoration tips. the boat is a 17' 1076 hydrosport, with a merc 115. I plan on redecking and recarpeting it, adding new seats. What elses....?? also what can I do to make the hull look like new?<br /><br /> any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated..<br /><br /> Thanks,<br /> Thomas

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat restoration tips

Moved to project boats.

totalivewire

Seaman

depends on how tight your holding your wallet. Im currently fixing my 14' 1972 yarcraft up on a really tight budget. I figure im gonna spend a little less than 210$ on paint, carpet,carpet glue, seats.<br />you could also buy lights and guages that have that old boat look. I plan on doing this next year. <br />the best carpet Ive seen is in the cabalas magazine, you can get your glue there too. there catalogue is free just go to there site. marine paint is as cheap as house paint as of what I've seen. You can order that online or go to your marine dealer.I'm still looking at seats, they have boat seats in all the catalogues, but I would recommend iboats to look thru 1st. For the old style lights I've seen some in bass pro shops catalogue, that magazine is free too.<br />Have fun! I know I will.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

First thing you do is plan, plan, plan, and then figure your budget and time, then increase those by a third. I am doing nothing short of a complete rebuild, and I am converting the boat from a runabout to a center console. Not a small undertaking, but it has gone well due to planning and throwing my theories on this message board to confirm or deny that I have in fact lost my mind. You said you are redecking it, you may find out, as I did, that you may need new stringers and transom, that you may have to seperate, as I did, the upper deck from the hull. You may find out that the foam is saturated and has to be removed. Don't bother trying to dry it, the $200 spent on the new closed cell stuff is more than worth it. I have calculated that I will spend between $1200 to $1500 for my restoration/conversion, which includes new floor/structure/transom/foam, center console and seat fabrication, paint, and other miscellaneous stuff. If I spend more, oh well. If I spend less, yay. This doesn't even include the trailer, which needs new lights, rollers, tires, winch, hitch, and paint. I consider it a seperate project from the boat. I have pics of my progress here, just look for posts with my name or refering to "Project Skanky Beast".

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Totalivewire check out this for carpet (might be a better price...I'm not sure it was the cheepest I found).<br /> Boat carpet