1973 16' Starcraft Super Sport new to me

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Play by play is the best way!!

As for stripping, I am with classiccat wouldn't expect it to cause issues other then a PIA once dry.

On a side note, did I read right that you want to polish the hull? Just curious, seen another guys do it, but don't know how long the "polish" lasts before oxidizing and such.

SHSU

As for it drying.. I'm planning to make a 2nd trip around the boat for the smaller parts that didnt' just peel off. I'm hoping it will do the trick... 3rd trip will be just pulling it out of the shop and putting the pressure washer to it.

As far as the polishing stuff I've done a few transoms on my boats but I've never taken it this far. I have a big aluminum "Herd" bumper on my truck that I've use a product call SharkHide on since it's polished and it's held up pretty good. I've heard alof of folks here on the forum mention that product as well.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
As for it drying.. I'm planning to make a 2nd trip around the boat for the smaller parts that didnt' just peel off. I'm hoping it will do the trick... 3rd trip will be just pulling it out of the shop and putting the pressure washer to it.

As far as the polishing stuff I've done a few transoms on my boats but I've never taken it this far. I have a big aluminum "Herd" bumper on my truck that I've use a product call SharkHide on since it's polished and it's held up pretty good. I've heard alof of folks here on the forum mention that product as well.
SHSU

i use sharkhyde on most of my polished aluminum and even steel tractor parts that I've polished.

I have a habit of putting it on a little thick so i get streaks... so on the sides of my hull I'm trying the zephyr polish/sealant.

I haven't gotten it wet yet but it's holding up ... to sitting in my garage just fine :lol: :lol:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If that stripper gets in and sits in the seams for any length of time it'll soften the factory sealer maybe producing a leak down the road. Other than that it won't do anything to the AL.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
classiccat
I am wondering if it was your thread I was thinking about. I remember the Sharkhide being used and good results, but doesn't sound like you are having any issues long term. I will have to dig up the thread I am thinking about. Knowing me I may have mixed up threads too.

LOL

SHSU

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully won’t have any issues with seams As the only seam I have it even close to are up towards the bow.
I did get the first layer all they way around the boat done over the weekend. Polishing stuff shows up on Wednesday.
hope to get 2nd round of each side a night and then get pressure washer and pull it out for another bath
stay tuned.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Here is where we are as of now... Been slow going this past couple weeks. One side is totally free of any paint the other side is 98%...

Watermann

Here is where we are as of now... Been slow going this past couple weeks. One side is totally free of any paint the other side is 98%...

I see the ole Chief is standing watch making sure things are going as planned :lol:

ACtC-3fmLcIAWM5wQ_sm6kJWwc1LMzIVK4E0WOqtGJfz183wel0THarpoNepiCT6P4fspP8nLXJwlNlM8Kdnem3JHPNigsqBR8pxS29C7apMfs2WzEMSU9XurtAgneEuLiXjYRQC2haw8YhAHyJ9Q0Fn8GH7=w1112-h625-no

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Lol. Ohh yeah. That ol chief is pretty daunting of a project compared to the 16’ SS. But it’s still gonna have its day and I’ll resurrect the ol vintinage thread........:)

Watermann

Lol. Ohh yeah. That ol chief is pretty daunting of a project compared to the 16’ SS. But it’s still gonna have its day and I’ll resurrect the ol vintinage thread........:)

I hear that, my 22' Islander is skulking around here waiting it's turn. It's going to be my retirement project in a few years and I'll resurrect it's thread too.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Spent a 1 and a half trying to learn how to do the first heavy cut and load the wheel and clean the wheel. I did watch a few videos. So that helps. I think there was only a single swear word when finger caught the wheel. Hehehe

classiccat

Lookin' good! and it sounds like you're already building up some swear credit! :lol:

Once you find your groove of cutting and coloring it will get easier...with the same amount of crud. :)

SHSU

Man, a polish looks really good!!! I guess I am to lazy to go that extra mile to buff out to a true gloss/glass finish. Easier to hide my imperfections or scratches that way

lol

SHSU

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Here we are after a little more. One side heavy cut. Like CC was saying you kinda of get in a groove and take a some breaks. But the worse part of it all it trying to get cleaned up before I got to the shower. Man. That stufff is brutal to get off you.

Attachments

• BB0D3713-F652-41A8-85E4-9E949EB107B8.jpeg
    BB0D3713-F652-41A8-85E4-9E949EB107B8.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 48

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
It’s good from far but it’s far from perfect. A lot of scuffs and scratches. But I mean it is almost 50 yrs old. .

classiccat

I can almost see my own reflection in it!! Great job! :thumb:

fetch

Now time to polish the chief!!! :madgrin: :lol:

SHSU

So pretty!!

The one thing I envy on a lot of guys projects is the massive barns/work areas everyone has. I can only dream right now, but one day...

SHSU

Decker83

Commander
Your doing a great job!! When I did mine I would wear a painters suit and a face shield.. That really helped
with keeping all the nasty off me. You also learn how to angle your polisher away from you..
Keep up the good work. :rockon:

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
I like the idea big the painter suit and face shield but there just isn’t any for sale right now in my town.

I got the 2nd cut done today. Pics to prove it. :)

DAAE94C8-227D-46B9-93B2-CB17B232464C.jpegA7B263B6-E9A3-4839-9F19-53A7118432F7.jpeg