Bassy hitting the East Coast

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Yep, Mom, Pop and I are flying to Washington,DC for a week and then visiting Williamsburg,Virginia for a 2nd week. I am so excited. I am such a history buff and oh what history in these two places.<br />My question is where do we go and what to see?<br />Here are things I've already thought of:<br />Williamsburg Attractions <br />Colonial Williamsburg- <br />Historic Jamestowne- <br />Jamestown Settlement-<br /> Washington,D.C. <br />Whitehouse<br />All the monuments<br />Congress in session(?)<br />Smithsonian museum<br /><br />Where else do we want to go and what do we want to see? Any advice? <br />We're coming in July, so plenty of time to plan.<br />Bassy :)

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bassy hitting the East Coast

Cool!! Hopefully RubberFrog will chime in as he lives so close and he's originally from CA so you can trust him . . . :p :p :D <br /><br />I love the Air and Space Museum; considering your astronomy interest I would think that's a natural fit. I also liked Arlington National Cemetery; it is very moving. People watching in a nice bar in Georgetown is great too. Have fun!!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Gettysburg! & the Smithsonian....If you need some laughs, try the oval office or Congress in session... :( Never trust anyone from the Kalefornia flatlands, btw...JK

LadyFish

Admiral

Arlington Cemetary!<br /><br />You will never forget it!

mattttt25

Commander

take in annapolis one day, walk downtown and the u.s. naval academy.

bubbakat

Captain

What L F said catch the changing of the guard.<br />That is awesome to see.<br />It will take you all day to tour the Smithsonian museum. Then you won't get it all. Don't take the tour busses just ride the metro rail and walk you can see more that way.<br />When it starts getting dark be sure to get some where safe.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Parents took me to DC when I was about 10. The two things that stuck in my mind was Arlington, the Smithsonian, and getting off the streets after dark as Bubbakat mentioned. Must be impressive stuff for me to remember stuff from 40 years ago!<br /><br />Have fun and take lots of pics!

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Note:<br /><br />Virginia is the South, not the East. :) <br /><br />Of course, it's all a matter of perspective. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by alden:<br /> Note:<br /><br />Virginia is the South, not the East. :) <br /><br />Of course, it's all a matter of perspective. :D
Then what is florida? :D

PW2

Commander

There's so much to see!<br /><br />I agree with Gettysburg, but there is history just dripping off of wherever you might pick.<br /><br />My advice is to not try to cram too much into the visit, and try to give the places you do choose the time to do them justice.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br />Then what is florida? :D <br /><br /><br />North, then south, then north again. :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Great stuff! Thanks!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bassy,<br /><br />A bit of time spent in Fredericksburg is worthwhile. Like it or not, if you drive from DC to Williamsburg, you’ll go thru F’burg (unless you go the back, less traveled way). It’s just about midway between DC and Richmond.<br /> <br />The old town is quite pleasant and is home to Kenmore – where the original GW’s (Geo. Washington) sister lived. There’s also the home GW bought for him mom – Mary – right down town. Across the river is Ferry Farm where GW grew up.<br /><br />Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County were also scenes of several major civil war battles to include the Battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and the Wilderness. At I-95 exit 118 (Thornburg) you can go east about 2 miles to the Stonewall Jackson Shrine where he died from friendly fire wounds inflicted at Wilderness.<br /><br />The very least you should do at exit 118 is toot the horn – if it’s around 5 p.m., I’m quite likely turning off to the west and home. A bit of advice, though – don’t even think of driving in the DC area during rush hours – they’re really ugly. Stick to between 10 and 2 for the drive south.<br /><br />There’s absolutely too much to do in this area – just have fun and Welcome to Virginia.

LadyFish

Admiral

P.S. There are some great restaurants in Georgtown. :)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Bassy, obviously there is lots to see and do in DC. What and how many I would recommend depends on how long you will be staying and what you are interested in.<br /><br />There a lot of really interesting monuments, but some are a little boring.... :eek: <br /><br />Don't miss the Vietnam Veterns Memorial Wall, the "Wall" as we call it locally. Bring a hanky.<br /><br />Right next to the Wall is Lincolns monument. I freely admit that the first time I visited it, I wept openly. Very moving, as is the Wall.<br /><br />The WW II memorial is very close, beautiful, and fairly new. Definately worth a look as few have seen it.<br /><br />Those three monuments are very close together and can easily fill half a day. If you were to finish the day at the Air and Space museum (gotta take dad there) you would have a great day.<br /><br />If you still have a little time left my next "must see" is the National Museum of the American Indian. This is currently my favorite museum in DC. I have been three times and still have only really seen about a third of it. It is very large and beautiful. Be sure to take a look at the Hauser (sp) exhibit as well as the Spanish conquest of S America exhibit.<br /><br />I wouldn't leave DC without seeing those five things.<br /><br />Day 2:<br /><br />Don't miss the Museum of Natural History. Think dinosaurs, big ones!<br /><br />Renwick gallery: all art. If you like art, this place is amazing. Paintings, staues, etc.<br /><br />National Museum of African Art. Tribal. Masks, spears, weird stuff. Very cool. No grafitti.<br /><br />The White House and the Capitol are worth a look but all the security has spoiled them a little.<br /><br />There is PLENTY more to see, those are just my favorites. While you are there, be sure to notice the amazing architecture. Plenty of classic greek and romanesque buildings.<br /><br />Whatever you do, don't buy the tshirt that says "FBI" from the street vendors- unless you want every pan handler in town harassing you. Plus the locals think they're lame ;) <br /><br />How long are you going to be in DC?<br /><br />I have some DC pics posted here and some pics of the WW II memorial here .<br /><br />
small.jpg
small.jpg
small.jpg

aspeck

Staff member

Bassy, my family loves going to Williamsburg. We will be there the beginning of June for another week of fun and history. We are looking forward to getting across the James river and on to Surrey this trip. Don't try to do everything in Williamsburg, but zero in on what you are most interested in and enjoy that. If Colonial Williamsburg is your thing, get the year long pass. Then you don't have to try to cram everything in in one day. But if you are not that interested in the demonstrations, you do not need the pass at all. You can still walk the streets, enjoy the shops and restaurants, etc. Our daughter is only 4, so we will not be getting the pass this year, we will just do the free stuff.<br /><br />Your first day in Colonial Williamsburg, just cruise around and get the feel of it. Then you can take the "Newspaper" of events and plan the rest of your week.<br /><br />Historic Jamestowne and the Settlement are also very interesting. Depending on your enjoyment of animated (living) museums, take the tour and then spend the rest of your time there enjoying the information at the visitor's center. You will want to give yourself half a day there, and to get your boating fix, you can either take one of the pontoon boat tours around the settlement, or just go on teh free ferry and cross Jamestown river, turn around, and come back.<br /><br />If you like swimming, wave pools, water slides, etc. Water Country USA is a blast and a most enjoyable break from your history lessons. Of course you also have Busch Gardens, if big amusement parks are your thing.<br /><br />Hampton and Virginia Beach are not far away if you want the coast, navel base, aquarium, etc. A couple of decent charter boats if you want to do a little fishing.<br /><br />The Chesepeake Bay Bridge is not too far away either. Can be worth the trip if you enjoy long drives over (and under)the water.<br /><br />There are so many things to see and do in the Williamsburg VA area, don't try to do them all - you will kill yourself. Look over things and decide what you like to do and enjoy.<br /><br />As far as DC, same goes for there. The Smithsonian is a must see. Along with a tour of the monuments, etc. There are trolley cars that will take you around - get the all day pass and enjoy the ride and the tour. Arlington Cemetery is a must see. Along with as many of the historic monuments you can fit it. You can easily O.D. on history at both of these places.<br /><br />If you have the time to make the day trip to Gettysburg, this is getting closer to my home (about 1 hour and 45 minutes away). The driving tour of Gettysburg will send chills up and down your spine. That I can guarantee. I always like to visit the museum at the visitor's centre first and view the battle in lights, where they use lights on a large relief map to show the position of the troupes on each day of the battle, how the moved, and what each move meant to the final outcome. It gives you a better understanding as you drive through the park.<br /><br />Okay, my fingers are tired now! Hope this helps.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by aspeck:<br />The Smithsonian is a must see.
Just remember that "The Smithsonian" is an instituion- The Smithsonian Institution. It is comprised of 18 museums spread through out the city (the country even!).<br /><br />Here is thier website for more information.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Oh my gosh!!! How will I ever see all of it? I know, I know... take it easy and enjoy what I do see.<br /> The whole trip is 2 weeks: one week in DC and one week in Williamsburg. <br /> Thank you all for your suggestions. It helps so much. I knew I could count on I-Boats. You are awesome!!<br /> Oh what fun we're going to have. History? Oh yeah, I love the stuff.<br />Bassy

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> .<br /><br />Okay, my fingers are tired now! Hope this helps.
Thank you Shoe Shine Boy, you are humble but loveable. ;)

aspeck

Staff member

I'm glad you find me so loveable, techno.... but you are really not my type, and I am already taken. Sorry.