35 hr johnson no spark

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet
The 35 hr 2 stroke 2cyl motor, the prolbem is the bottom cyl is not sparking i swtiched coils from top to bottom. Whatever one is on top is working, and whatever one is on bottom is not.

keifer855

Recruit
Re: 35 hr johnson no spark

Switch spark plugs and I bet the dead cylinder will follow. You might have a broken spark plug not going to ground.

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

sorry i just put in new spark plugs to see if that was the prolbem and replaced the spark plug wires

keifer855

Recruit

clean the surface where the coil grounds, also trace the wires and look for a broken wire or bad conection.

234rick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The wire is probaly separated & corroded try moving back & forth to see if it starts sparking. its probaly where it goes into the timer plate.

papajorgio01

Cadet

when you switched the coil cables did you switch the spark plug cables as well?

lindy46

Captain

dont know the guy said mid 80s it painted so i cant find a model number. could it be the vacum cut out switch

Don't know if a mid-80's had a vacuum cut-out switch like the older 35hp motors. But on the older ones, if the vacuum cut-out switch malfunctions, it cuts out the bottom cylinder.

jasper60103

Commander

clean the surface where the coil grounds, also trace the wires and look for a broken wire or bad conection.

Again, what keifer said. I once discovered a non-conductive washer between the bolt and coil ground tab, therefore the coil wasn't grounded and wouldn't fire.

jasper60103

Commander

i will try new washers i hope that is the prolbem

If you have an ohm meter that would sure be handy now. If so, measure from the coil ground to the engine block. Should be near zero resistance.

DRAKESLAYER

Cadet

Thanks for the help got spark when i clean the threads. New prolbem it sounds like it want to fire but just wont turn over. I think i put to much oil in the gas. I change the fliter and the fuel lines so i think i put to much oil in the gas so i am going to change gas and put less gas. If any one has any more adive would be awsome thank you

jasper60103

Commander

Thanks for the help got spark when i clean the threads. New prolbem it sounds like it want to fire but just wont turn over. I think i put to much oil in the gas. I change the fliter and the fuel lines so i think i put to much oil in the gas so i am going to change gas and put less gas. If any one has any more adive would be awsome thank you

Could be flooded as well. If so, remove the spark plugs and clean them up if necessary. Let the engine sit overnight then replace plugs.