Shower pump constanly runing

cargarci

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 Regal commodore 242 with a volvo penta 5.0GL and a SX-M.

I brought the boat to a mechanic some time ago and he said that the shower pump was runing constantly and draining my batteries. He disconected the pump.

I want to attempt to fix it myself but dont even know where the pump is located along with the wiring.

Can anyone help.

Thanks.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Shower pump constanly runing

below the shower level you will have a small holding tank about one cubic foot. Inside of it is a pump with a float switch. Often the float will get junk, dirt, soap etc in it and that holds the float up to pump it overboard. You really need to check it out and clean it. It should have a switch on the dash or in the shower area.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

below the shower level you will have a small holding tank about one cubic foot. Inside of it is a pump with a float switch. Often the float will get junk, dirt, soap etc in it and that holds the float up to pump it overboard. You really need to check it out and clean it. It should have a switch on the dash or in the shower area.

Agreed- and when you find it, the shower sump should have a removable top so it can be serviced!
Just follow the hose from the shower drain. It'll go right to the sump. The wiring is identical to a bilge pump with a float switch- which is essentially what your shower sump is.....

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Your boat is the same size as mine (small), and probably doesn't have a sump pump mounted directly under the floor of the head.

Mine is located under the aft berth, beneath a removable panel.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

JoLin is probably correct. My 29'er has it located under the head floor. My 27'er is was located under the aft cabin berth. There was however an access panel to get to it. It should be cheap enough to replace with new.

cargarci

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I think I founded. I will take it apart today and see what the deal is.

cargarci

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I was able to get to the float and the pump. I found that the fuse was missing also from the dashboard. I installed the fuse and immediately the pump came on as there is water to be pump out. 1 second later it blew the fuse.

Could it be wires are wet? or a bad pump?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

The motor is bad or it has junk around the shaft. See if you can clean it out. My guess is it wast burned up from running all the time.