What the heck could it be?

Tommy1

Cadet
I am in the process of making restorations to my Glastron CV 16. I'm new to the ins and outs, but learning fast. The floor was rotting, so I have it out. The stringer is heavily coated in fiberglass, and it fees very solid. I can stand on it and not detect any weekness. Tapping it with a hammer is like hitting a piece of solid wood. One contributor suggested I drill into it to see if dry shavings come out, so I did that. Once the drill bit broke through the fiberglass I encountered what looks to be treated balsa. The stuff seems to compact so well that the drill bit gets somewhat bogged in it. The shavings were greenish, as in the color of treated lumber, and they were dry. They have a peculiar odor to them I can't describe well, but it is an herbal / mineral spirits smell.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What the heck could it be?

dont think too hard.....if the shavings were dry, go on to the next step

Tommy1

Cadet

Thanks! Being a neophite, I appreciate knowing I can move forward.

Mike

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tommy,

Instead of opening a New thread every time, you should stick with your original thread. This will help all of us follow along with ALL of your issues and keep a running log of your issues as you go. Having multiple threads is NOT a good idea. Sounds like your stringers may have been rebuilt already with a product like NidaBond or SeaCast. Either way it sounds like you are good to go so did you check the transom to make sure it is good and solid??

Tommy1

Cadet

Thanks for the advice on the use of the site and my stringers. I'll go back to my original thread.

A previous owner had the transom rebuilt. There is new marine plywood installed, and it all looks great. They braced it differently than the factory, and I need to remove that bracing to get the rest of the old floor out. I found photos of the original bracing, and I am going to build that back in first before removing what is there, so I don't have to remove the Johnson 115.

Thanks again,

Mike

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sounds good. Probably when they rebuilt the transom they used nidabond or seacast for the stringers. Sounds like you are on the right track. You need to post some more pics so we ALL can enjoy your progress.

I'm just sayin...:D

Tommy1

Cadet

I'll try to post some more photos, soon. Yesterday I began some minor repairs to the bulkhead after drilling holes and extracting the mystery stuff. Oh, and scraping off more of that minature golf course.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Try this stuff to get the glue off Sentinel 747. You will still have to scrape a littlle and use some amonia soaked rags but I have heard it really cuts that carpet glue. Google it to see where you can buy it.